Wayward Belle

Got a Steamboat? Then put a link and pictures in here and let us know about updates etc.
87gn@tahoe

Wayward Belle

Post by 87gn@tahoe » Sun Nov 29, 2009 7:57 pm

Here is my steam lauch, the "Wayward Belle"

She was designed and built by Mr. William Charles Grosjean of Poway, California (near San Diego). Mr. Grosjean designed every aspect of this boat; he also made the patterns, boiler, controls, and engine himself.

The hull is a Chesapeake Bay style open launch, 22'-2" X 5'-10" X 1'-5". Sitka spruce frames and stringers. Honduras mahogany stem, keel, floor timbers and engine bearers. Bruynzeel plywood planking. Silicon bronze fastened and epoxy glued and sealed. Epoxy/fiberglass sheathed. Weight-850lbs

The engine is a 2" & 4" x 3.25" compound on six turned columns, stephenson link valve gear, piston valve on the high pressure piston, balanced slide vlave on the low pressure piston, independent valve gear adjustment on LP. Drip feed lubrication to bearings w/ oil slingers from main bearings to feed rod big-end bearings. Two feed pumps and two air pumps(condensate- 27in/vacuum when no leaks!) and one fuel pump dirven 1/4 engine speed ala Simpson Strickland style gear drive. approx 6BHP@700rpm. Weight-225lbs

The boiler is "once through" monotube, ASME approved design and materials. Natural draught, 21sq.ft./heating surface, 150psi, 450F, 200 lbs/hr. Controls similar principles to Doble "normalizer" control system. Vaporizing kerosene burner, modulated by steam pressure. Steam temperature controlled by quartz rod thermostat. Weight-220lbs

10 and 14 gallon fuel tanks, 3 gallon hot well, condenser: three 7/8" copper tubes 4.5' long.

Propeller- 15"x17" 3-blade

Mum getting warm:

Engine:
Clutch:

Action:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nD8_nvSzz2Y

With my father up in the bow:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ec-oB7_J25s
Last edited by 87gn@tahoe on Sun Dec 16, 2012 5:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
piet schuurs
Steam on Deck
Steam on Deck
Boat Name: Panatela

Re: Wayward Belle

Post by piet schuurs » Sun Nov 29, 2009 8:31 pm

Hi Wesley,
Nice boat you have, and fitted out whit an beautifull engine.
I love the style of your Chesapeak Bay boat.
She looks very sturdy and runs well, as I've seen it on the movies.
Piet
mcandrew1894
Full Steam Ahead
Full Steam Ahead

Post by mcandrew1894 » Mon Nov 30, 2009 12:52 am

Great looking engine Wes! Fine job he did, and she moves!

Dave
87gn@tahoe

Post by 87gn@tahoe » Mon Nov 30, 2009 1:49 am

ALL of the credit goes to Mr. Grosjean. He engineered the boat to the 9th degree. Other than the running lights and a thermocouple that is never used, there are no electronics on the boat, all controls are mechanical.

I'm just a caretaker of sorts.