Steam Thistle Cluaran

Got a Steamboat? Then put a link and pictures in here and let us know about updates etc.
RNoe
Full Steam Ahead
Full Steam Ahead
Boat Name: Cluaran

Re: Steam Thistle Cluaran

Post by RNoe » Mon Apr 25, 2022 1:40 am

TahoeSteam wrote:
Mon Apr 25, 2022 12:50 am
That's a lovely bag for your rudder. Wayward belle has a removable rudder as well, and I never can find a good spot for it. I may have to steal your idea.
No theft required. A good idea, and go for it.
I am relieved to get this idea realized.
Now to go steaming...
RussN
TahoeSteam
Full Steam Ahead
Full Steam Ahead
Boat Name: Wayward Belle

Post by TahoeSteam » Mon Apr 25, 2022 8:22 am

Thank you

Indeed it is that time. Persistance just went steaming the other day with 12 folks onboard. At least half of them having their first exposure to steamboating.
PeteThePen1
Full Steam Ahead
Full Steam Ahead

Post by PeteThePen1 » Wed May 04, 2022 11:41 am

Hi Russ

Glad to hear the good news about your wife and that there will be some possibility of steaming this coming year. Yes, the bag is just right and keeping loose but essential items from bouncing about in a towed boat is important. I ended up making brackets for the paddles, the boat hook and the emergency tiller on Frances Ann.

IMG_20191207_Boat Hook.jpg

Good steaming everybody!

Regards

Pete
RNoe
Full Steam Ahead
Full Steam Ahead

Post by RNoe » Wed May 04, 2022 3:49 pm

Pete:
Nice solution to carrying the boat hook.
Ideas...
RussN
RNoe
Full Steam Ahead
Full Steam Ahead

Post by RNoe » Tue Oct 11, 2022 2:25 am

Latest news:
After a year-long search I located a 2018(?) casting of a classic steam launch propeller, surprisingly just 1.5 hour drive from my home!
Pat Spurlock of Elliot Bay Steam Launch Company had it, along with the original pattern for casting.

Attached are pictures of the prop presently on the boat 15" x 20", and the new unfinished cast prop 16" x 24".
My winter project will be to finish the blades to match the well-machined taper and mounting surfaces.
The photo shows the prop on its layout board for winter work.

I expect an increase in boat performance with this new old-design prop.
We'll see.
RussN
79BF332B-2E2C-490D-8B18-276800F49C5E.jpeg
251FAD64-9274-4F18-B4A9-D3FBBFB3F83D.jpeg
Last edited by RNoe on Sat Dec 10, 2022 3:04 am, edited 3 times in total.
dampfspieler
Full Steam Ahead
Full Steam Ahead
Boat Name: No Boat Yet

Post by dampfspieler » Tue Oct 11, 2022 6:49 am

Hi Russ,

good news. The prop looks amazing. Wish you success.

Dietrich
Lopez Mike
Full Steam Ahead
Full Steam Ahead
Boat Name: S.L. Spiffy

Post by Lopez Mike » Thu Oct 13, 2022 6:31 am

I'm REALLY looking forward to hearing your performance tests. Right now I have an 18 x 24 with great big elephant ear blades. Enough blade area for a 100 hp gas engine I'm sure. I've heard of cutting down a prop like mine to look like your new one but am far too cowardly to just jump into it.

Mike
If you think you are too small to make a difference, try sleeping with a mosquito.
Dalai Lama
RNoe
Full Steam Ahead
Full Steam Ahead

Post by RNoe » Thu Oct 13, 2022 6:44 am

Mike:
We'll all have to be patient for water tests. I don't expect those to happen until next spring at the earliest.

Just to potentially irritate you, I saw several other similar classic design cast props at Pat Spurlock's Portland, OR, shop.
Included was one slightly larger than mine. You might want to contact Pat to see what he has available.
I can visit there to check it out for you, if you cannot make such a jaunt.

heh heh...
RussN
PeteThePen1
Full Steam Ahead
Full Steam Ahead

Post by PeteThePen1 » Thu Oct 13, 2022 4:54 pm

Hi Russ

That looks a lovely prop and I do hope that it goes well in Cluaran.

For those of you on the East Coast, Beckmann's Boatshop used to have a similar slim bladed prop of 18"X28" Narrow blades for $878.75. I bought one in 2008 for Frances Ann but the price was a huge amount less than the current asking price. I am slightly confused as the old Beckmann site (https://www.steamboating.net/page2.html) shows the shop as being in North Kingstown, RI 02852. There is another Beckmann Boatshop website that comes up that seems to imply a New York address, but the Contact Us page throws up a map of London UK and the address of the London Eye ferris wheel. My suspicion is that the 'new site' is under construction and the builder has let it loose into the web well short of beng finished.

I think that John & I have done rather better than that with our Mono-tubes site (https://www.mono-tube.org.uk). There is a moderate amount of content there now and we are open to offers for material to add your opinions or to disagree with what we have proposed if anybody has time on their hands this winter. I am starting to write up the Steam Canoe project to which so many of you kindly contributed during the Covid lock down. I have a great deal of material on that now and need to sit and refine it as well as getting down to doing the drawings so it will be a while before you see signs of me building stuff. Gardening and working on the house are still gobbling up most free time. As Dietrich commented at some point, old houses have character, but they do have a habit of falling apart.

Regards

Pete
RNoe
Full Steam Ahead
Full Steam Ahead

Post by RNoe » Wed Jan 11, 2023 2:48 am

Preparing for some propeller performance tests, I defined the need to know prop rpm and hull speed.
I can monitor hull speed with an app on my iPhone. Simple and easy.

Shaft rpm required some more thought, and here's what I came up with:
As discussed on this board, I considered using a bicycle speedo/computer, but did not like the complexity of using speed, reprogrammed to read as rpm.
So I designed a simple alternative, described below.

Attached are two pics of my latest steamboat accessory: A digital shaft/prop rpm indicator. (Pic #2)
It is made from an Amazon-available digital tach meter, the included hall-effect stainless steel sensor, a 9V battery, a waterproof toggle power switch, and a waterproof box to put it all in. Total material costs < $30 US dollars. The magnet is epoxied in a hole in the flywheel forward surface (pic #1), just proud of the flywheel surface. Making that hole was a challenge with the flywheel in the boat, and successful.

I made a brass bracket for the sensor, polished, cleaned and lacquer-coated to protect from corrosion. The gap sensor-to-magnet is about 2 mm, and adjustable. Cables are all zip-tied and secured. And it works quite well, especially at low rpms. I expect this engine to cruise at around 350 to 400 rpm. (?)

So now I can get some useful speed and rpm data when testing the old and new propeller performance. I still need to finish the new prop.
'Looking forward to some safe steamboating weather...
Russ
54DE01E3-D0E2-4EC6-B5A8-7DD65113A7BD.jpeg
B58170A6-E80F-418E-88FB-13BC315BD9FC.jpeg