A new-old 25' launch

Got a Steamboat? Then put a link and pictures in here and let us know about updates etc.
RNoe
Full Steam Ahead
Full Steam Ahead
Boat Name: Cluaran

Re: A new-old 25' launch

Post by RNoe » Mon Oct 19, 2020 3:36 pm

DavisDD:
I like your approach to preservation:
An operating artifact is more likely to survive the ravages of time, even if its preservation replaces parts of the original.

I've had this argument many times in steam locomotive preservation, and I keep pointing out that a 100-year-old locomotive is already substantially altered from its "as-built" condition. So further changes are almost a moot point.

I hope you succeed getting this hull back on the waters where it can tell its story by steaming again. Seeing it in action is a far better solution for preservation.
RussN
Oilking
Full Steam Ahead
Full Steam Ahead
Boat Name: No Boat Yet

Post by Oilking » Mon Oct 19, 2020 11:16 pm

Thoughts on preservation

Pete Culler, a regular contributor to the National Fisherman, when it was a publication with a section on history, and how they did it in the old days, wrote an article with his thoughts on historic preservation of old wrecks.

His main issue was that all too many historic preservation groups get a hold of a rotten hogged and twisted relic that they attach some historic significance to. They work to raise money, and as the cost of restoration goes through the roof the boat continues to decay with many of these projects get abandoned with a cost of removal, I think of the Wawona in Lake Union, Seattle WA.

His alternative was to have a collective effort to select a few iconic historic types and raise the funds to build new keel up vessels while there were still people like himself around that had worked in the yards that built large wooden vessels ( this was 30 to 40 years ago). Also build using best rot prevention practices even though that wasn’t the practice of the day. He argued that the traditional builder was always looking for better ways to do things plus with what you’re spending you want it to be around for awhile.

The end product is a new vessel that is a proper representation of the type, not a twisted hogged relic with some lipstick.

I have learned some warning words to watch for when taking on a project they are: “This aught to be easy”, and “This shouldn’t take long”. I also like the encyclopedias description of Lemmings saying,” they swim out into the ocean in ignorance of its magnitude, and are drowned”.

Stay safe

Dave
RNoe
Full Steam Ahead
Full Steam Ahead
Boat Name: Cluaran

Post by RNoe » Tue Oct 20, 2020 3:22 pm

A successful example of Oilking's suggestion is the Steam Yacht Canarda.
The old iron hull was not salvageable but the elegant interior and machinery were removed before the hull sank.
An entirely new steel hull was fabricated in California and the vessel's original interior placed inside.
Worth looking up this project on the internet to see what lots of money can accomplish!

https://www.google.com/search?q=Cangard ... B16BAgWEAM

RussN
PeteThePen1
Full Steam Ahead
Full Steam Ahead

Post by PeteThePen1 » Wed Oct 21, 2020 11:01 am

Yes, the re-build the hull and re-use the interior route has much to recommend it. The launch Gondola on Coniston in the English Lake District was saved in this manner. There is a brief outline of the story here: https://arthur-ransome.fandom.com/wiki/ ... ,_Coniston

Of course, another alternative at the somewhat smaller end of the market of using an old hull that is beyond sensible repair is to use it to make a plug for glassfibre replicas. That way the essence of the hull design remains and can be enjoyed by many more people than might get to enjoy a restored boat or replica. Perhaps in this context I ought to nudge our fellow forum member Greg, a steam plant engineer and boat builder, to say a little more about that idea.

Regards

Pete
Davis Dry Dock
Just Starting Out
Just Starting Out
Boat Name: No Boat Yet

Post by Davis Dry Dock » Tue Nov 17, 2020 6:57 pm

Well,

A friend and I made the trip over to the Muskoka area of Ontario this past weekend to deliver the hull to a very talented local (if not to me...) craftsman for an initial survey and stabilization. I'll keep you posted...

Photo is on a rainy morning in Barry's Bay, Ontario, next to one of the only restored CN water towers, though the tracks have been gone for many years.

Davis DD
Attachments
0.jpg
0.jpg (150.62 KiB) Viewed 5698 times