Artemis Has A New Home

Got a Steamboat? Then put a link and pictures in here and let us know about updates etc.
DetroiTug
Full Steam Ahead
Full Steam Ahead
Boat Name: Iron Chief

Re: Artemis Has A New Home

Post by DetroiTug » Sat Jan 08, 2022 1:34 am

Quote: "Getting older I find myself leaning more and more towards the quiet of solid fuel firing. Even with the associated mess, pain in bunkering, etc. There is something magical about just hearing the water boil, the crackle of the fire, and the engine turning over.''

Hear hear. Messing with liquid firing on cars, wood is so much easier, smells better, no kabooms.
barts
Full Steam Ahead
Full Steam Ahead
Boat Name: Otter, Rainbow

Post by barts » Mon Jan 10, 2022 12:58 am

DetroiTug wrote:
Sat Jan 08, 2022 1:34 am
Quote: "Getting older I find myself leaning more and more towards the quiet of solid fuel firing. Even with the associated mess, pain in bunkering, etc. There is something magical about just hearing the water boil, the crackle of the fire, and the engine turning over.''

Hear hear. Messing with liquid firing on cars, wood is so much easier, smells better, no kabooms.
Absolutely. I much prefer the smell of a campfire. Rainbow's previous owner, John Campbell, said they often baked bread or muffins in Otter's firebox after finishing with the fire for the day, much as one would use a pizza oven. The temperature would stay at 300-350F for some time; I'd not consider doing that in a oil-fired boiler.

- Bart
-------
Bart Smaalders http://smaalders.net/barts Lopez Island, WA
JustinSteele
Just Starting Out
Just Starting Out
Boat Name: Artemis

Post by JustinSteele » Tue Jan 11, 2022 12:57 am

Thanks for everyone's input. I really have alot of work to do on the hull. While I'm working through that I'll keep dreaming up ideas on fuel. Maybe I'll give the Beckett a try with some proper deep cells for now and venture from there depending on use and what is plan out for operating her from there. For all I know it won't even fire, half the wires are pulled out of it. The whole boat needs alot of sorting. I definitely agree on the real deal of burning solid fuel and the sights sound and smells associated. Here is some video. I plan on trying to document this rebuild as I go since it feel it's worth sharing.
[Youtube]https://youtu.be/mZg6PZVLJGw[/Youtube]
Justin Steele
Kalamazoo MI
cyberbadger
Full Steam Ahead
Full Steam Ahead
Boat Name: SL Nyitra

Post by cyberbadger » Tue Jan 11, 2022 4:12 pm

JustinSteele wrote:
Tue Jan 11, 2022 12:57 am
I plan on trying to document this rebuild as I go since it feel it's worth sharing.
Justin thanks for that video and walk around of Artemis. I subscribed and am eager to watch your progress!

There are several options for fuel. I tend to think of that as one of the benefits of a steamboat, they really can be flex fuel. The Beckett burner looks like a nice unit. It is common to have bootstrapping issues with oil burning. E.g. needing electricity or a secondary starting fuel to get the boiler steamed up. A straight CO2 fire extinguisher is a wise addition on-top of any legal requirements for fire extinguishers when you are using any liquid or gas fuel.

This past summer I was running a combination of Kerosene and Propane with reasonable success.

"'Kerosene, is nothing but perfume to me.'" - Montag, Fahrenheit 451.

-CB