Next Weekend II

Got a Steamboat? Then put a link and pictures in here and let us know about updates etc.
S. Weaver
Full Steam Ahead
Full Steam Ahead
Boat Name: SL Iona

Re: Next Weekend II

Post by S. Weaver » Sun Nov 13, 2011 1:49 am

Wow, Wes, your dad is "outta control." Good for him!
Steve
87gn@tahoe

Post by 87gn@tahoe » Sun Nov 13, 2011 4:54 pm

Thanks guys!

Yep, it sure pays to be retired.

With his plans to up the heating surface, hopefully output will sustain a few more revolutions.

The Semple alt-set might evolve into a blower and feed pump engine as well... Semple rated them for around 5hp at *I believe* 600rpm, might as well use all the power available if it's going to be running anyway.

My father also has a large semi-truck turbocharger that may be run off the engine's exhaust for forced/induced draft.

Here are a couple updated pictures of the boat as well:

New exterior paint and bow railing... The half-round piece between the buff and gray will be painted black;

Interior;

My sister cut some plastic matting "tiles" for the interior. They can be easily picked up and the deck underneath cleaned;

87gn@tahoe

Post by 87gn@tahoe » Sun Nov 13, 2011 5:55 pm

Well, the boiler is less like a "Roberts" and more like a "Worthington"

The tube banks are much like B&W, but each row is in a separate header and cross alternately beneath the main drum that runs lengthwise. John built it with a mud or foundation ring that encircles the firebox. The circulation should be quite good, much like a B&W.

DetroiTug
Full Steam Ahead
Full Steam Ahead
Boat Name: Iron Chief

Post by DetroiTug » Sun Nov 13, 2011 6:49 pm

Wes,

The Tug is looking great! Lots of room inside. Did he use the Interprime820 on the interior? I used it on mine, that primer/sealer is like ceramic.

Looks like there's not much left to do. Is he shooting for a next spring launch? (or next weekend :D )

Looking forward to some video under way.

This is sure giving me the bug to build a larger one. I'm back to work on mine, finishing out the wheelhouse interior.

-Ron
artemis
Full Steam Ahead
Full Steam Ahead
Boat Name: Pond Skimmer

Post by artemis » Sun Nov 13, 2011 7:47 pm

DetroiTug wrote:...This is sure giving me the bug to build a larger one. I'm back to work on mine, finishing out the wheelhouse interior.

-Ron
Ah, the American way. If big is good, bigger is better. No such thing as too big :!:
Ron Fossum
Steamboating Magazine Editor
http://www.steamboating.org
preaton
Steam on Deck
Steam on Deck
Boat Name: No Boat Yet

Post by preaton » Tue Nov 15, 2011 8:31 am

John's boiler looks like a version of Al Dunlop's boiler from Steamboating.

Here's the page from the Handbook
Attachments
boiler.jpg
boiler.jpg (251.53 KiB) Viewed 9727 times
87gn@tahoe

Post by 87gn@tahoe » Mon Jan 30, 2012 4:51 am

Finally a walk-around video (watch on youtube for HD):

DetroiTug
Full Steam Ahead
Full Steam Ahead
Boat Name: Iron Chief

Post by DetroiTug » Mon Jan 30, 2012 6:14 am

That is quite a boat you and your Dad are putting together.

The engine space is just cavernous. I'm sure you guys have it figured out, but how will the engine and boiler go in? Does a portion of the roof remove? On mine we can kneebone the engine in and out pretty easy, but that steam plant would have to be craned in and out I would think.

On the prop, I would just try it as is. When I was prop hunting I was looking for something in the 20X28 range, had to settle for a 20X20 prop, as it turns out, that is perfect. Went to a 19 X 25 and it ran poorly. These tug hulls push a bow wave, or as one old salt told me about Iron Chief "She's got a bone in her teeth!" :) Lower pitch props are better for these types hulls. As they say, your mileage may vary.

Yep, as you mention in the video, just get it running and in the water, all the woodwork can wait. Knowing the boat runs out okay, makes finishing it much less stressful.

Keep the updates coming, very interesting build.

-Ron
87gn@tahoe

Post by 87gn@tahoe » Tue Jan 31, 2012 1:30 am

Ron,

Thanks for the kind remarks.

The overhead has a hatch built into the frames for machinery installation and removal. The roof will be cut around the perimiter of the hatch once the times comes, then sealed up afterwards. There will certainly be a crane involved with the two engines to choose from weighing over 1000lbs and the two boilers to choose from starting at over 1200lbs (the Kiwani is 4800# DRY!).

Thanks for the suggestion on the prop. Unfortunately it is in sorry shape and trying to convince my father to find a better specimen is futile. It's the original prop for the diesel machinery and currently 48"X30", and replacing it isn't so easy once it's on there, can't just hook up the trailer and haul her out to do a prop change. Trying to find the ideal prop for the boat from the get-go is imperative. I think it may be too large in diameter as it is. The Oceanid's prop was only 44"x59" and she was a HSL originally built and designed by engineers who had been messing about with steam for decades prior, so I'm assuming they made the correct choice for a ship with a 8"&16"X8" compound. Our engine(s) being quite a bit smaller...
Lopez Mike
Full Steam Ahead
Full Steam Ahead
Boat Name: S.L. Spiffy

Post by Lopez Mike » Tue Jan 31, 2012 4:24 am

One notices that Wes is very careful to NOT include any pictures of his sister. Should he do so, I would predict a sudden increase in interest from of younger steam enthusiasts. Cough, cough.
If you think you are too small to make a difference, try sleeping with a mosquito.
Dalai Lama