DetroiTug's Tug is going together

Got a Steamboat? Then put a link and pictures in here and let us know about updates etc.
fredrosse
Full Steam Ahead
Full Steam Ahead
Boat Name: Margaret S.

Re: DetroiTug's Tug is going together

Post by fredrosse » Mon Jul 23, 2012 2:43 am

Thanks for the details. Looks as good as it sounds.
bushbuck
Just Starting Out
Just Starting Out
Boat Name: No Boat Yet

Post by bushbuck » Fri Aug 17, 2012 4:39 pm

Hi Ron

Am I correct in assuming that you cannot operate the tug on your own? It would seem that you would need one person at the wheel and another attending to the engine and boiler. If this is so, do you think there is a practical way to amalgamate the wheelhouse and the engine room allowing one person to operate the tug.

Kind Regards
Gavin
DetroiTug
Full Steam Ahead
Full Steam Ahead
Boat Name: Iron Chief

Post by DetroiTug » Fri Aug 17, 2012 7:12 pm

Hi Gavin,

That is correct, it is a two person job. A helmsman and engineer. It could be arranged through linkages etc. to make it single handed and that was the original intention, but that's never been an issue. I have a list of folks to call locally whenever it's going to be in the water. At the shows, same deal so far, always seems to be someone willing to help out. It's a lot safer to have two people anyway. Even if it had all the linkages ran up front for dual control, someone really needs to be with or near the engine and boiler to observe whats going on.

Someone sent a video they took.

-Ron
bushbuck
Just Starting Out
Just Starting Out
Boat Name: No Boat Yet

Post by bushbuck » Fri Aug 17, 2012 7:18 pm

Hi Ron
Thanks for the reply. If my tug materializes, I would like to be able to man it alone at times. Just dont know if it will be practical
marinesteam
Full Steam Ahead
Full Steam Ahead
Boat Name: TBD

Post by marinesteam » Fri Aug 17, 2012 9:18 pm

Iron Chief moves along pretty smartly and the whistle couldn't be more perfect!!

Cheers

Ken
DAN MOFFETT
Just Starting Out
Just Starting Out
Boat Name: PUNCHKA

Post by DAN MOFFETT » Mon Aug 27, 2012 2:19 am

Hi Ron
I am new to the forum and been steaming for 15 years with making my own steamers and saw your link and must say I have never seen a more detailed and professional approach to such an undetaking than you have done.I too am a metal worker/engineer/designer and really appreciate the time and energy you went to to help your fellow steamers.I am going to undertake a Tug project using an 18 ft Indian Runner made by Rappahanock Boat works by using a Semple 5 hp engine and Beckman HWT-48 Boiler.Have had her for years and have had a Tiny Power 5hp steam engine and Elliot Bay 40 Firetube Boiler and then removed and placed a 1945(?) Kermath 5 hp.....but seemed there was just too much room for such a small engine so decided to put in the Semple and Beckman.She is a real runner! :D I have had my mind set for years to build a Tug....and now is the time.
Your project really is "PRICELESS" and I want to thank you personally for what I have learned from it.
Will post pics when I get to that point......
Thanks again Ron.
Best
Dan Moffett
DetroiTug
Full Steam Ahead
Full Steam Ahead

Post by DetroiTug » Mon Aug 27, 2012 3:42 pm

Hi Dan,

You're quite welcome. I enjoy sharing the project with others. If I knew it was going to be a success, I would have documented it much better :lol: In the beginning, I had no idea what I would wind up with, relying only on rough calculations and intuition.

Sounds like you have a good start for the project. Start a thread here and post pics and progress. I enjoy reading about what others are doing as well.

I spent yesterday noodling and doodling a new design. Not sure if I will proceed with that, but it's fun anyway. The experience I've garnered from this project would make another go much faster.

-Ron
DAN MOFFETT
Just Starting Out
Just Starting Out
Boat Name: PUNCHKA

Post by DAN MOFFETT » Mon Aug 27, 2012 10:20 pm

Thanks Ron
Started today with moving the boiler back and mounting allowing for the forward cabin and allowing loading from the front with the Semple engine in the rear.I took off the canopy before I brought it into the shop because it would not fit through the door.I finally figured that I will build the cabin making it light enough to be "lifted off the boat"....not being a carpenter I am out of my league and would like any ideas as to wood to use....
:?: Best
Dan
DetroiTug
Full Steam Ahead
Full Steam Ahead

Post by DetroiTug » Thu Nov 29, 2012 2:05 pm

Just returned a few days ago from a six day Thanksgiving outing on Kentucky Lake in western Kentucky. Beautiful weather for late November and picturesque scenery. We must have logged about 250 miles between daily excursions and numerous rides for the locals - that often went on long after dark. Tried it out on roughish water 2-3 foot waves running them breech following markers and she handled it just fine. Burned about a cord of wood. 1150 mile round trip trailer tow.

Here is a vid I shot. The first time I've ever seen it run from shore as I let my two brothers take it out after a few days of training.

artemis
Full Steam Ahead
Full Steam Ahead
Boat Name: Pond Skimmer

Post by artemis » Thu Nov 29, 2012 8:56 pm

:idea: Now what you need to do is build a first class, complete with brass trim and glass guards, hinged skylight about 3+ feet wide and 3+ feet long that sets on the cabin overhead directly above the engine. This will provide wonderful cool, cross draft ventilation as well as generous light. Then move that comfortable "captain's" chair into a corner of the engine room and "kick back". There are a gazillion pictures of gorgeous skylights in photos of the European "launches" which will give you the idea. We never used them much on this side of "the pond", probably because they were "too expensive" and tended to leak if not built correctly. Again, Chapelle and others have good instructions to build leak proof skylights. You'll thank yourself next summer.
Ron Fossum
Steamboating Magazine Editor
http://www.steamboating.org