DetroiTug's Tug is going together

Got a Steamboat? Then put a link and pictures in here and let us know about updates etc.
DetroiTug
Full Steam Ahead
Full Steam Ahead
Boat Name: Iron Chief

Re: DetroiTug's Tug is going together

Post by DetroiTug » Tue Oct 05, 2010 5:17 pm

Another update..

Haven't worked on it much in the last few months, just getting back to it now.

The engine, I feel anyways is setting a tad low, my fault as I second guessed the cad program, it had it at the proper height, Trying to spin a 20" prop, and keep the engine as level as possible, resulted in it setting lower than I really wanted in the engine space. Still have to make the mount for it.

Here is the prop mounted and the rudder built. A bit of a trick, getting a prop machined for 1.375" shaft on a 1.0" shaft. Had to make a bronze tapered sleeve.

Here is looking at eye level up front, notice I've started the 1.5" tube sheer rail. Definitely a two man job and my helper has been absent the last few Saturdays.

Not pictured and I almost have it done is the whatchamacallit, that isolated the linear thrust from the prop shaft to the engine. What is it called? Buttress? Thrust block? Thrust plate? Anyways, I machined a housing and shaft, with two Cone roller bearings looking at each other, with grease seals etc. They are boat trailer bearings. I'll post a pic of that when I get a chance.

-Ron
PeteThePen1
Full Steam Ahead
Full Steam Ahead

Post by PeteThePen1 » Tue Oct 05, 2010 9:39 pm

Ron

That look simply excellent! We would call it a Thrust Block this side of the pond.

I am curious about how all that lovely steel manages to stay so fresh and shiny. Don't you get rust moths in your part of the world???

Regards

Pete
artemis
Full Steam Ahead
Full Steam Ahead
Boat Name: Pond Skimmer

Post by artemis » Tue Oct 05, 2010 11:33 pm

PeteThePen1 wrote:Ron

That look simply excellent! We would call it a Thrust Block this side of the pond.

I am curious about how all that lovely steel manages to stay so fresh and shiny. Don't you get rust moths in your part of the world???

Regards

Pete
I've mostly heard it called a Thrust Bearing on this side of the pond.

I don't think they get rust moths in the Great Midwest of the USA. <giggle>
Ron Fossum
Steamboating Magazine Editor
http://www.steamboating.org
mcandrew1894
Full Steam Ahead
Full Steam Ahead

Post by mcandrew1894 » Wed Oct 06, 2010 1:19 am

Looks damn stout and well built from here...I'd be proud to go out in a blow on that boat....Your doing well...keep the pictures coming...

Thrust block and bearing in this neck of the woods... :D trailer bearings will do just fine...

Dave
DetroiTug
Full Steam Ahead
Full Steam Ahead

Post by DetroiTug » Thu Oct 07, 2010 5:43 pm

Hey Fellas,

Thanks for the great replies. And, nope, no "rust moths" here in the great midwest.. Not sure what they are, but me and them wouldn't get along, I'm sure.. :)

Some more pics of what I've been up to.

Here is the tapered sleeve to adapt the much larger prop on the smaller shaft, worked well, seems to spin nice and true:

Next up is the "Thrust block" (thanks). I'll mount this to the keel, very tight and spins with very little resistance, I'll install a grease fitting and then just shoot it up with white lithium occasionally:

Here is machining a castle nut with CNC:

And a pic I took of a nice paddlewheeler at the last steamboat meet here in Michigan.

boatbum
Lighting the Boiler
Lighting the Boiler
Boat Name: Arcturus

Post by boatbum » Fri Oct 08, 2010 4:32 am

Thrust block or marine bearing. My boat has a thrust block made up of babitted shoes, running in oil, cooled with water. Then again it was built in 1929 and handles 140 hp @ 325 RPM.
DetroiTug
Full Steam Ahead
Full Steam Ahead

Post by DetroiTug » Sun Oct 10, 2010 8:00 pm

Formed up the sheer rail and got it fitted. Next, I'll form up another for the knuckle, which will parallel the sheer all the way around about ten inches lower, it will be a bit trickier as I'll have to split it in half with the plasma arc after it is to shape. The result will be a half tube, semi-circle, that will serve as a rub rail.

-Ron
stevey_frac
Full Steam Ahead
Full Steam Ahead

Post by stevey_frac » Mon Oct 11, 2010 5:53 am

It's looking good!
DetroiTug
Full Steam Ahead
Full Steam Ahead

Post by DetroiTug » Mon Oct 11, 2010 9:49 pm

Thanks Steve..

And the method for the rub rail is working.

-Ron
farmerden
Stirring the Pot
Stirring the Pot
Boat Name: Steam Queen

Post by farmerden » Tue Oct 12, 2010 3:26 am

So that's the proper way to bend pipe! :lol: I once made a stair railing by running my pickup over the pipe until I got just right! But your way looks easier to get it just right!! With those rub rails in place I'd worry more about the dock than the boat! Good job! Den