Frances-Anne

Got a Steamboat? Then put a link and pictures in here and let us know about updates etc.
PeteThePen1
Full Steam Ahead
Full Steam Ahead

Re: Frances-Anne

Post by PeteThePen1 » Thu Sep 03, 2020 8:49 pm

The final 'packing' stage was to add the ridge poles. Of course, these had been put together without all the cabin sides loaded which mean that the diagonal 'legs' should have been a different shape...

The ridge poles.jpg
The ridge poles.jpg (87.23 KiB) Viewed 9756 times

Once all that was done the next job was to get the trailer in balance so that the nose weight was within the allowance for the VW Transporter tow vehicle. The spare wheel was re-fitted as far back as possible but the nose weight was still off the scale. That meant that the trailer had to be jacked up, the axle U bolts undone and the whole caboodle hauled forward. Much sweat managed to get 4" (10cm) of movement and a nose weight of 60kg. That seemed like a point at which to call it a day.

Next day Mike Rometer joined me and things went a whole lot faster. After readjusting the brake actuation bar, we rolled the trailer out of the garage into the sunshine and set about adding the mudguards, pumping up the tyres, etc. The tarpaulin was added in case of rain and eventually tied down. Final checks were made and we then hitched up the VW to check the lights with the rig completely blocking the road. Of course one cluster would not work...
PeteThePen1
Full Steam Ahead
Full Steam Ahead

Post by PeteThePen1 » Thu Sep 03, 2020 8:58 pm

Getting ready for the road.jpg
Getting ready for the road.jpg (193.78 KiB) Viewed 9755 times

Happily Mike is good with that sort of thing and it was soon fixed. We then set out with me at the wheel but with the rig facing the wrong way. Should we start with a three point turn? Why bother said Mike, just go around the block, so we did. From there we headed for the motorway which was busy but moving nicely. Why the terror? The trailer was very stable, though with a bit of tendency to 'nod'. I don't know if that was the quality of the road surface of whether the nose weight should have been a little less. It was within the range suggested by the trailer handbook.

A break for lunch meant having to park rather than just stop and abandon the rig. Since the much signposted caravan parking failed to materialise we joined the truckers. With a decent sized bay available I was duty bound to reverse into it which was achieved eventually.

Tangling with the Truckers.jpg
Tangling with the Truckers.jpg (161.15 KiB) Viewed 9752 times
Last edited by PeteThePen1 on Thu Sep 03, 2020 9:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
PeteThePen1
Full Steam Ahead
Full Steam Ahead

Post by PeteThePen1 » Thu Sep 03, 2020 9:07 pm

Back on the road again with Mike at the wheel and we ate up the miles northwards. Fortunately, having checked the details of the route on Google Earth Street view I was able to provide reasonable navigation aids to Mike and we arrived at Greg's yard within minutes of our forecast ETA.

Following a tour of Greg's establishment, or at least the engineering bit, it was time to greet Steve Goacher of Goacher Sails. He had come to measure up the boat for a storage/transit cover. He was a delight to watch. With masking tape, two sided tape, plastic sheeting and a felt tip pen he managed to create a pattern for the cover in what seemed no time at all. He was keen to have us around so that he could ask questions and agree to his suggestions. A craftsman in action.

Expert at work.jpg
Expert at work.jpg (180.83 KiB) Viewed 9754 times

Once Steve had finished, we bade farewell to Greg and set off back to Cheshire. A good day out and greatly helped by the skill and kindness of Mike R. We are plotting an encore as the boat needs to be got ready for its boiler test...
dampfspieler
Full Steam Ahead
Full Steam Ahead
Boat Name: No Boat Yet

Post by dampfspieler » Fri Sep 04, 2020 2:24 pm

Hi Peter,

good news - success for the next steps.

Dietrich
PeteThePen1
Full Steam Ahead
Full Steam Ahead

Post by PeteThePen1 » Tue Sep 29, 2020 7:44 pm

Hi Everybody

Yet another insignificant update for you.

Today we ran a hydro test to see if the damaged mud drum plug was going to be pressure tight. It turned out not to be even water tight. Thus a drill out from 3/4" BSP to 7/8" BSP and a new plug is on the agenda.

Goacher Sails have now supplied the cover for the boat and it is a first class piece of kit. It is slightly 'tight' just yet but will probably stretch as the winter winds blow.

I also tried Ron's brass cleaning mix which works well, but I learned not to use domestic vinegar. Apparently white vinegar has no smell unlike domestic vinegar...
IMG_20200929_Ready to test.jpg
IMG_20200929_Ready to test.jpg (194.87 KiB) Viewed 9366 times

IMG_20200929_Cover 2.jpg
IMG_20200929_Cover 2.jpg (176.85 KiB) Viewed 9365 times

Regards

Pete
RNoe
Full Steam Ahead
Full Steam Ahead
Boat Name: Cluaran

Post by RNoe » Wed Sep 30, 2020 12:25 am

Frances-Anne is a beautiful Steam Launch!
Thanks for sharing.
RussN
PeteThePen1
Full Steam Ahead
Full Steam Ahead

Re: Frances-Anne - Goodbye

Post by PeteThePen1 » Thu Sep 16, 2021 4:42 pm

Greetings Fellow Steamboaters

It is with great sadness that I have to tell you that I have had to sell Frances Ann.

With the down-size to a small house with next to no space in the garden it has not been possible to bring her to Wales. Whilst Greg's boat yard is a good place to keep a boat if one wants one handy for all of the English Lakes it is no good when it takes a day's drive to get there. In addition my caring responsibilities mean that I cannot just disappear for several days to "play boats".

Thank you all for the advice and supportive comments over the years. It has been an interesting experience and what I have learned might well be transferable to something more appropriate to my present circumstances.

Best wishes

Pete
DetroiTug
Full Steam Ahead
Full Steam Ahead
Boat Name: Iron Chief

Post by DetroiTug » Thu Sep 16, 2021 6:38 pm

Pete,

Well, that's not good. I think with the whole plandemic, we're all having to make unwanted adjustments to the new world order. Don't be a stranger here, we all enjoy your postings.

Take care, Ron
TahoeSteam
Full Steam Ahead
Full Steam Ahead
Boat Name: Wayward Belle

Post by TahoeSteam » Thu Sep 16, 2021 8:35 pm

Pete,

I am very sorry to hear this news. I know you spent a lot of time working on her and modifying her to your liking. I'd venture to say your ambitions with break-down saloon and other innovations were far ahead of most. I loved following along. I hope you are able to find a launch that better fits your new situation and are able to still get out on the water.

~Wes
RNoe
Full Steam Ahead
Full Steam Ahead
Boat Name: Cluaran

Post by RNoe » Fri Sep 17, 2021 3:37 am

Pete:
I am sorry to hear you had to sell Frances-Anne. After all your remarkable work, too.
Time to grieve a little. Or a lot.
But difficult times create difficult decisions. Indeed, please hang around here for our mutual enjoyment.

This year I've had zero opportunities for any steam work, boat or railroad. On July 6th my wife had a bad stroke and is still in hospital rehab, only now just beginning to stand a little. And I learned today she is being "released" in two weeks, despite her non-mobile condition, and my sharing with her team that our home is not yet ready for wheelchair use (contractors are scheduled) and there appears to be no home care people available because of the Covid-19 pandemic. Legally the hospital is not supposed to release patients to a non-care situation. There is no way I can care for her by myself.
But... Lots of issues are apparently getting more difficult for many of us.

However I am keeping our "Cluaran" steam launch, trusting we will again be able to steam her in the future.
So to all people out there facing pandemic tragedies and difficulties, you have me empathy, and hopes for better futures.
RussN
Last edited by RNoe on Sat Sep 18, 2021 4:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.