Frances-Anne

Got a Steamboat? Then put a link and pictures in here and let us know about updates etc.
PeteThePen1
Full Steam Ahead
Full Steam Ahead

Re: Frances-Anne

Post by PeteThePen1 » Tue Nov 11, 2014 5:46 pm

Hi Folks

I have bought myself a smart phone as a birthday present and, having discovered it has video capabilities, have tried it out. Here is the result:

http://youtu.be/_sFroHKTddg

The quality will improve for the future when I work out how to avoid keeping a finger over the lense... :roll:

Regards

Pete
Mike Rometer
Full Steam Ahead
Full Steam Ahead
Boat Name: B.N.Y.S.

Post by Mike Rometer » Tue Nov 11, 2014 6:16 pm

Nice one, Pete. ;) I didn't realise you were filming, I thought just stills. A little sunshine (and less wind) would have helped, we've had better days this summer.
Retirement is about doing what floats your boat!

A BODGE : - A Bit Of Damn Good Engineering.
gondolier88
Full Steam Ahead
Full Steam Ahead
Boat Name: No Boat Yet

Post by gondolier88 » Tue Nov 11, 2014 9:25 pm

We were both lulled into a false sense of security as far as photos being video is concerned... It hasn't come out bad considering the weather on the lake though- there's nothing wrong with your inbuilt sense of 'level' Pete!

Greg
Don't get heated...get steamed up

http://www.simpsonboatbuilding.co.uk
PeteThePen1
Full Steam Ahead
Full Steam Ahead

Post by PeteThePen1 » Thu Jul 25, 2019 6:33 pm

Hi Folks

Whilst some of you know about the progress of Frances Ann's refit I expect most of you will have forgotten all about her. The refit is coming closer to completion, i.e. the jobs list will probably fit on one page now, which has pleased my Dearly Beloved. I will skip the family politics, but she asked for a current photo of the boat since a number of her friends wondered what it looked like. Herewith the attempt to get it all in one frame:

The attachment FA in the garage 1 (600 x 450).jpg is no longer available
FA in the garage 1 (600 x 450).jpg
FA in the garage 1 (600 x 450).jpg (73.26 KiB) Viewed 12602 times
The main changes that have occurred are the plumbing in of the condenser and the addition of a tiny hot well. The larger water separator, for use when puffing, has been replaced with a rather lighter one (the 'mahogany' sausage on the front of the boiler). The boiler casing has been radically altered so that it now possible to remove the two 'shoulders' of the casing and get at the tubes with a brush. I doubt if that is visible with the low res photo. Revising the brass strap fixings has enabled the cylinder drain pipes to be brought forward to a position on the side of the boiler casing where one can operate the taps. Thinking taps, the Windermere Kettle has also been installed in the saloon just right for a warm brew on a wet day when mooring and retiring to the saloon has greater appeal than braving the wind and rain.

Of course we will have to see if all these changes work out when steam is raised.

Regards

Pete
Mike Rometer
Full Steam Ahead
Full Steam Ahead
Boat Name: B.N.Y.S.

Post by Mike Rometer » Thu Jul 25, 2019 7:12 pm

Getting there Pete! Soon be time to get her back on the trailer. Give a shout, I'll come on over with a muscle or two. :D
Retirement is about doing what floats your boat!

A BODGE : - A Bit Of Damn Good Engineering.
kno3
Lighting the Boiler
Lighting the Boiler
Boat Name: No Boat Yet

Post by kno3 » Sun Sep 08, 2019 10:50 am

That's a very elegant boat!
PeteThePen1
Full Steam Ahead
Full Steam Ahead

Post by PeteThePen1 » Sun Sep 08, 2019 7:40 pm

Thank you. It has ended up looking the part but I just need to get it finished off and steaming now.
PeteThePen1
Full Steam Ahead
Full Steam Ahead

Post by PeteThePen1 » Wed Oct 02, 2019 8:18 pm

For those of you who like to know that Forum members get up to in their spare time, here is the latest from Wildest Cheshire.

With the welcome assistance of Mike Rometer, our task has been to get Frances Ann off the 'build' trolley and onto the new 'big boat - small garage' trailer.

We had a bit of an anxious start as it was clear before we even opened the garage door that the trailer as set up was not going to fit. Of course, I had forgotten that the builders said that they would build to width ignoring the mudguards and that they would have to come off when putting the trailer in the garage. That we did and it became clear that there was not going to be a problem, though the vehicle driver would need to be very skilled.
Initial anxiety.jpg
Initial anxiety.jpg (95.53 KiB) Viewed 12171 times
PeteThePen1
Full Steam Ahead
Full Steam Ahead

Post by PeteThePen1 » Wed Oct 02, 2019 8:19 pm

The rear ofthe new trailer is surprisingly low which was useful in some ways.

However we did suffer a senior moment or two and forgot Mr Shifta.

We did not need to jack up the build trolley to get the trailer rollers and the keel to align. The only trouble was that the trolley did not pull underneath the back of the trailer as we had hoped so the boat was very precarious once it had pulled away from the rear vee.
Forgetful.jpg
Forgetful.jpg (85.1 KiB) Viewed 12170 times
PeteThePen1
Full Steam Ahead
Full Steam Ahead

Post by PeteThePen1 » Wed Oct 02, 2019 8:20 pm

In the end Mike suggested that we rig a sling around the stern from the hoist and then use the mobility of that to bring the boat to the trailer.
Suspended.jpg
Suspended.jpg (50.07 KiB) Viewed 12169 times
That worked very well and the rest of the load was without anxiety.