Steering direction

Got a Steamboat? Then put a link and pictures in here and let us know about updates etc.
Lopez Mike
Full Steam Ahead
Full Steam Ahead
Boat Name: S.L. Spiffy

Re: Steering direction

Post by Lopez Mike » Sun Dec 23, 2012 9:32 pm

Aha! Now you have me all confused again. Jack and Den had me all convinced that forward (counter clockwise from inside the boat) should be to Port.

I think I'll stay with their logic for now.
Also, it will keep me out of trouble with Barbara!

Mike
If you think you are too small to make a difference, try sleeping with a mosquito.
Dalai Lama
fredrosse
Full Steam Ahead
Full Steam Ahead
Boat Name: Margaret S.

Re: Steering direction

Post by fredrosse » Sun Dec 23, 2012 11:01 pm

I was always questioning this, until someone told me how turning the wheel clockwise always turns the boat to the right. The logic is the same for an automobile, all of them, when you face the steering wheel from inside the vehicle, turn right when the wheel is turned clockwise. This is the same in the USA or England where they drive on the wrong side of the road.

I also thought in "rudderspeak" a boat is turned "Left" or "Right", not to "Port" or "Starboard", am I wrong here?

In any event I had no room on my steamer for a conventional steering wheel, and thought I would be confused with the steering wheel shaft running athwartships, so I opted for a partial wheel, with steering shaft running fwd-aft along the side of the boat. My electric boat has the same setup, and it has been entirely satisfactory, with no cables whatsoever.
Attachments
Side rudder mech.jpg
Side rudder mech.jpg (12.11 KiB) Viewed 3753 times
RUD WHEEL.jpg
RUD WHEEL.jpg (54.03 KiB) Viewed 3753 times
SW-Helm.jpg
SW-Helm.jpg (17.33 KiB) Viewed 3753 times