The FULL Story of Eppleton Hall’s Transatlantic Voyage - Newcastle to San Francisco (1969-1970)

For the non-technical side of living with Steamboats, videos and general pictures.
cyberbadger
Full Steam Ahead
Full Steam Ahead
Boat Name: SL Nyitra

The FULL Story of Eppleton Hall’s Transatlantic Voyage - Newcastle to San Francisco (1969-1970)

Post by cyberbadger » Sun Dec 05, 2021 3:32 pm

The FULL Story of Eppleton Hall’s Transatlantic Voyage - Newcastle to San Francisco (1969-1970) (35 minutes)
Published on youtube by "The Unlucky Tug" Nov 20 2021.

"Once upon a time, a man named Scott Newhall wanted to save a paddle wheel tugboat called Eppleton Hall in Newcastle. The catch: he lived in San Francisco. This is the story of how he got her home."
0:00 Intro
1:35 Once Upon a Tyne…
6:10 The Rescue of the Eppleton Hall
9:28 Restoring the Eppleton Hall
13:16 The Voyage of S.S. Eppleton Hall
27:13 Eppleton Hall: A San Francisco Tug
31:55 Epilogue

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-a5dMNV5wcA

You need a crew and tons of fuel to cross the Atlantic in a "small" steamboat! I use the term "small" very loosely. Closer to a small ship at a length of 100.5 ft (30.6 m).

Currently the Eppleton Hall is owned by the National Park Service in the United States in San Francisco.
https://www.nps.gov/safr/learn/historyc ... n-hall.htm

-CB
PeteThePen1
Full Steam Ahead
Full Steam Ahead

Re: The FULL Story of Eppleton Hall’s Transatlantic Voyage - Newcastle to San Francisco (1969-1970)

Post by PeteThePen1 » Fri Dec 10, 2021 8:21 pm

Yes a good video to watch and jaw dropping in the audacity of the plan.

I suspect that the book on which the video was based might be a good read (The Eppleton Hall by Scott Newhall). Very luck if you can find a copy available in second hand bookshops. ABE are offering a copy for more that the price of a small steam launch. All my other second hand book sources show it as out of stock.

Regards

Pete