Cabin/Saloon Launch

For the non-technical side of living with Steamboats, videos and general pictures.
racerfrank
Full Steam Ahead
Full Steam Ahead
Boat Name: No Boat Yet

Cabin/Saloon Launch

Post by racerfrank » Sat Oct 04, 2014 10:46 pm

Looking for photographs of the interiors of the cabin / saloon, anyone have some to share?

Thanks in advance

Frank
Dhutch
Full Steam Ahead
Full Steam Ahead
Boat Name: SNB Emily Anne

Re: Cabin/Saloon Launch

Post by Dhutch » Wed Dec 09, 2015 1:45 pm

racerfrank wrote:Looking for photographs of the interiors of the cabin / saloon, anyone have some to share?

Thanks in advance

Frank
It might be a bit of a wade as there isnt a field for 'cabin or not' to order them by, but there are some good photos on the SBA's boat register. Maybe also see Shamrocks website, the gallery pages are dated/clunky but has good photos once you get over that.

I can do interior of a 58ft steam narrowboats cabin if thats of use...?

Daniel
PeteThePen1
Full Steam Ahead
Full Steam Ahead

Post by PeteThePen1 » Sat Dec 12, 2015 10:41 pm

Hi Frank

Could I be so cheeky as to ask why you are seeking interior photos?

For some thoughts on interiors you could try the book 'The Steam Launch' by Richard Mitchell, though there is a predominance of US boats. Another good source, but much more difficult to investigate is 'Steam Boat and Modern Steam Launches' by Bill Durham. There are also various tomes on particular types of boat such as the Thames commercial steamers and the coastal paddle steamers.

If you are thinking about fitting out a launch for yourself, then you need to decide what you want to use it for, where you want to keep it and how deep your pocket is. For example, the story Mike Bell wrote about the building of Annabelle was interesting in this context in that it reported the listing of all the things that he and Liz were looking for in the boat. It also showed how the length of the boat grew as the list of facilities grew (along with the cost). At the other end of the scale there is a piece I wrote about Frances Ann's folding cabin for Steamboating Magazine. It shows some of the thinking that let me to go down that particular route.

Regards

Pete
racerfrank
Full Steam Ahead
Full Steam Ahead

Post by racerfrank » Tue Dec 29, 2015 3:27 am

PeteThePen1 wrote:Hi Frank

Could I be so cheeky as to ask why you are seeking interior photos?

For some thoughts on interiors you could try the book 'The Steam Launch' by Richard Mitchell, though there is a predominance of US boats. Another good source, but much more difficult to investigate is 'Steam Boat and Modern Steam Launches' by Bill Durham. There are also various tomes on particular types of boat such as the Thames commercial steamers and the coastal paddle steamers.

If you are thinking about fitting out a launch for yourself, then you need to decide what you want to use it for, where you want to keep it and how deep your pocket is. For example, the story Mike Bell wrote about the building of Annabelle was interesting in this context in that it reported the listing of all the things that he and Liz were looking for in the boat. It also showed how the length of the boat grew as the list of facilities grew (along with the cost). At the other end of the scale there is a piece I wrote about Frances Ann's folding cabin for Steamboating Magazine. It shows some of the thinking that let me to go down that particular rout

Regards

Pete

There are two reasons I'd like to see interior photos. First , just to see what someone else has done within their boat and get ideas for a possible future build, second, I like fancy woodwork.

I have both books mentioned but there are only a few photos of interiors.

Mike Bell's Annabelle was one of the launches that got me real interested in steam boats, although I have always liked "steamy" things. another boat that I really like is Bluebell. As elegant as these are on the outside I'd really like to see the insides.

Frank
PeteThePen1
Full Steam Ahead
Full Steam Ahead

Post by PeteThePen1 » Wed Dec 30, 2015 2:16 pm

Hi Frank

In terms of Bluebell, if you are a member of the SBA (which I imagine you will be by now), you can use the Members listing to contact the owners. I am sure that they will be happy to send you interior photos, and maybe an invitation to visit too.

I shall be writing up the logic of how the interior of Frances Ann was developed, but to begin your collection of interiors, here she is with the cabin sides and roof removed:

The interior is pretty spartan really. The key item, not visible in the picture, is the Porta Potti camping WC unit. That sits under the cabin bench seat in the middle. The position of that was as far back in the boat as possible, subject to keeping the seated user's feet on the floor gave the first datum point. That then fixed the bulkhead that forms the front of the bench seat. The rear of the unit fixed where the next bulkhead would be onto which the seat back is fixed. There was a bit of a dither about whether this would make the seat too deep. Had that been the case, the seatback would have been moved forward. The rearmost bulkhead was determined by the design profile of the boat, subject to there being sufficient space behind the seat back for the Porta Potti water reservior (which is removable). The height of the floor was determined by the propeller shaft fitting. The front wall was determined from the design profile of the boat and was placed at that point as it seemed to allow adequate space in front of the bench seat. The little wash hand basin is invisible in the r/h front of the cabin. The Windermere kettle is scheduled to go on the l/r front corner, although part of that is now taken up by the hand bilge pump not fitted at the time of this photo.

Hope that makes sense!

Regards

Pete
steamboatjack
Full Steam Ahead
Full Steam Ahead
Boat Name: grayling

Post by steamboatjack » Sat Jan 02, 2016 12:20 pm

Frank,
Drop me an e-mail and I will put you on to the owner of bluebell and the builder if required.
regards
Jack
steamdon-jr
Full Steam Ahead
Full Steam Ahead
Boat Name: SL Phoebe Snow

Post by steamdon-jr » Mon Jan 04, 2016 1:19 am

a good place to view launches and you can search by engine type, hull length, superstructure is a site being run by Rainer Radow, he used to frequent here alot but not sure what has happened to him, his website it http://www.steamboating.de/steamboat/st ... -video.php
racerfrank
Full Steam Ahead
Full Steam Ahead

Post by racerfrank » Mon Jan 04, 2016 2:12 am

steamdon-jr wrote:a good place to view launches and you can search by engine type, hull length, superstructure is a site being run by Rainer Radow, he used to frequent here alot but not sure what has happened to him, his website it http://www.steamboating.de/steamboat/st ... -video.php
I've looked at his site quite a bit, lots of information.