brass accoutrements for the boat?

For the non-technical side of living with Steamboats, videos and general pictures.
wsmcycle
Full Steam Ahead
Full Steam Ahead
Boat Name: FEARLESS,l'il steamy

brass accoutrements for the boat?

Post by wsmcycle » Thu May 07, 2015 1:22 am

Where can you buy brass pieces like spun metal for the smoke stack. For instance, those inverted brass bowls for the top of a VT boiler. ..
Thanks
Wendell
LIGHT THE FIRE!!
steamdon-jr
Full Steam Ahead
Full Steam Ahead
Boat Name: SL Phoebe Snow

Re: brass accoutrements for the boat?

Post by steamdon-jr » Thu May 07, 2015 1:30 am

Elliot Bay Boatworks used to seel spun brass stack caps and smokehoods but not sure if they still have them....they are on the website still
fredrosse
Full Steam Ahead
Full Steam Ahead
Boat Name: Margaret S.

Post by fredrosse » Thu May 07, 2015 11:47 am

Real brass boat parts have become hard to find. Stainless steel is common for chocks, bitts etc. but not suitable for a traditional steamboat. eBay is where I need to search for the proper parts.

For the crown of the stack, you can troll the yard sales or ebay for the proper piece, usually found on top of an umbrella stand.
artemis
Full Steam Ahead
Full Steam Ahead
Boat Name: Pond Skimmer

Post by artemis » Fri May 15, 2015 3:39 am

fredrosse wrote:Real brass boat parts have become hard to find. Stainless steel is common for chocks, bitts etc. but not suitable for a traditional steamboat. eBay is where I need to search for the proper parts.

For the crown of the stack, you can troll the yard sales or ebay for the proper piece, usually found on top of an umbrella stand.
Or a decorative brass salad bowl or spitoon or ...
Ron Fossum
Steamboating Magazine Editor
http://www.steamboating.org
Bob Cleek
Warming the Engine
Warming the Engine

Post by Bob Cleek » Wed May 20, 2015 1:25 am

Or even spin one yourself, if you are handy. All it takes is a wood lathe. You turn the pattern you want out of wood, mount it in the lathe chuck, attach a piece of annealed sheet brass, and start it spinning. Then you press the brass against the pattern with a smooth hardwood stick held against to tool rest and "Bob's yer uncle!" It's pretty amazing the way it works.

Full disclosure disclaimer: At least that's what the books say. I've done a couple of brass bowls when I was a kid, but a stack collar that actually fit right would take skill beyond my experience, that's for sure. I'm guessing that one could be made up by a fabrication shop for a reasonable price, particularly if you brought your pattern to them already done. That wouldn't be too hard on a wood lathe, though.
wsmcycle
Full Steam Ahead
Full Steam Ahead
Boat Name: FEARLESS,l'il steamy

Post by wsmcycle » Wed May 20, 2015 12:14 pm

Bob
you could only spin a full piece and then cut the ID out to match the stack. I have a machine shop and considered doing it but I dont know that the skill is worth learning so I thought i would draw it up in 3d and send it out to be made. Or do without it for a while
Thanks
LIGHT THE FIRE!!
Lopez Mike
Full Steam Ahead
Full Steam Ahead
Boat Name: S.L. Spiffy

Post by Lopez Mike » Wed May 20, 2015 5:13 pm

I tried this once some years ago and found that the forces were more than I had anticipated. Not so much the power to turn the work and the form but the effort to push on the tool hard enough to make it start to follow the form.

It looked so easy on the film (!) I watched. I was using dead soft (1000 series) aluminum and trying to make an engine cowl for a large model airplane. About ten inches in diameter. I have a larger lathe now and might try it again if I don't find a spittoon the right size first.
If you think you are too small to make a difference, try sleeping with a mosquito.
Dalai Lama