Steam water heater

For the non-technical side of living with Steamboats, videos and general pictures.
Mike Rometer
Full Steam Ahead
Full Steam Ahead
Boat Name: B.N.Y.S.

Re: Steam water heater

Post by Mike Rometer » Fri Jul 03, 2015 7:52 pm

Like it! Great idea.
Retirement is about doing what floats your boat!

A BODGE : - A Bit Of Damn Good Engineering.
DetroiTug
Full Steam Ahead
Full Steam Ahead
Boat Name: Iron Chief

Post by DetroiTug » Mon Jul 13, 2015 4:47 pm

Steamboat Mike,

I think I'm following your idea. I have an 3/4" Penberthy ejector, but if it doesn't pick up water for some reason, it is straight steam out the exhaust side which is very hot of course. That is why I used 3/4" galvanized pipe on the discharge. I doubt mine would be kind to any sort of rubber or plastic. I use mine for a bilge pump and sometimes there isn't enough water in the bilge to pick up and that discharge pipe gets very hot very fast.

The way I did it here is better and safer I think. No tweaking to it to get the desired temperature. Just get the water in the tank bath water warm and then just use it as needed, the insulation keeps it warm for about 24 hours. When there is no steam at all like first thing in the morning there would be no steam for an ejector. And too, since its warm weather and I sleep on the tug, the first thing I do when I hit the dock for the evening is pull the fire and wait a bit, leave the firebox door open, blow down some, wait for the pressure to get very low and then I start pumping straight cold lake water in and keep blowing down to cool the boiler off. Otherwise, all closed up to keep the mosquitoes out, it would be way too hot in there to sleep. So, the Windermere water heater works better for me.

As guessed, just run steam in until the exit line starts warming significantly and that is about 15 minutes on 10 gallons of water, then there is ample hot water of a known temperature. I tested it at the faucet to confirm the temperature before using.

It's a simple thing to have hot water, but it makes extended days of cruising much more pleasurable.

-Ron
Steamboat Mike
Steam on Deck
Steam on Deck
Boat Name: Catawissa

Post by Steamboat Mike » Wed Jul 15, 2015 1:53 am

Ron,
I agree that if you are usuing a 3/4" ejector that the insulated holding tank is the best way to go. The flow is so great that any shower head would have such a great restricting effect that the water would be much too hot at the coolest or least hot setting. The problem of steam issuing from the shower head if the ejector is unable to maintain a steady stream is much more pronounced with the larger unit as well.

One thing that may be useful in some way when doing plumbing of lines to or from the ejector is that you can use steam rated hose and fittings. They have a 250 P.S.I rating and may prove useful to get your line past that truly immovable piece of the hull or machinery that would be very awkward to get around by other means.

Another fun use of steam and hot water for the boat is the steam powered/heated hot tub. Get a RubberMaid 100 gallon stock watering trough. You can get these at any farm supply or find them in like new condition on Craig's list for cheap. Figure about $1.00 per gallon for a new one and perhaps 35 cents per gallon for a good used one. The RubberMaid troughs are the best, ridgid and lightweight. Use the ejector to fill the tub with lake water and run your steam lance to the tub and submerge it in the water. Use a valve at the tub end, the lance line must be steam rated hose and fittings to do this. It is also a good idea to use cotton sash cord wound around the exposed metal parts of the lance that are not submerged in the tub for lagging to prevent burns. It is a good idea to make a mixer for the end of the lance pipe. If your lance is 1/4" steel pipe use a piece of 3/4" pipe 6" long slipped over the end of the lance and fastened concentrically. The larger pipe is open on both ends, the smaller pipe blows down the inside center of the larger tube and mixes with the water as it condenses, giving up its heat to the water, and you don't have exposed live steam in the tub. Heat the water to the desired temperature and lower yourself into a very pleasant hot tub experience. I usually set the tub on the dock, full it weighs better than 800 pounds and would have a significant effect on trim if placed on deck. As the water cools down just crack the steam valve to gradually heat the water as you watch the stars go by. The 100 gallon trough is very roomy for one and quite acceptable for two if the mood strikes.

We have the tub on the dock and fill it when needed and use it in the cooler spring and fall months. We use it from early April to late November. If the river water is above 45 degrees it is really nice to soak and get so hot you just can't stand it, then plunge into the river, just like a sauna. The Swedes really have this figured out. After a long soak you will really sleep well, try it.
Best regards, Steamboat Mike.
DetroiTug
Full Steam Ahead
Full Steam Ahead
Boat Name: Iron Chief

Post by DetroiTug » Thu Jul 16, 2015 1:48 pm

Hi Steamboat Mike,

That is a great idea.

Thanks, Ron
TahoeSteam
Full Steam Ahead
Full Steam Ahead
Boat Name: Wayward Belle

Post by TahoeSteam » Tue Dec 15, 2015 7:46 pm

Sorry for the late response! Just read this!

Mike,

A friend of mine, the late Todd Guldenbrien, made a similar hot tub using a steam hose to a 3/4" ejector submerged in giant tub... The "mixer" was built right in. It worked GREAT!

He used to have New Years steam ups at his place in Vallejo, CA with midnight whistle blowing (BIG whistles too!).
Dhutch
Full Steam Ahead
Full Steam Ahead
Boat Name: SNB Emily Anne

Post by Dhutch » Wed Dec 16, 2015 1:53 am

On EmilyAnne we just have a twin coil hot water cylinder, one run off the solid fuel stove along with the radiators, the other steam heated.

The tank holds enough for two-three short showers or a days hot water but is also insulated so will keep overnight. Regulation of the steam is just with a simple valve, time to hear is only a few minutes so just run it while oiling the engine, tending to the other steam plant, or cross fingers so as not to forget.

We try not boil it, but equally as its a copper tank with a 3bar prv etc. its harmless if it does. All taps are mixer taps. 80gal cold water tank.

Seems odd to have an tank that can't nessarally take the heat!

Daniel
Last edited by Dhutch on Sun Feb 28, 2016 9:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
johngriffiths
Warming the Engine
Warming the Engine
Boat Name: Tenacity

Post by johngriffiths » Sun Feb 28, 2016 9:27 pm

missed this because I was otherwise engaged. Shamrock has an steam lifter which gently warms water for the sink.

Turning on the cold tap opens a steam valve and water is lifted from the lake and flows lukewarm through the cold tap outlet. This is ok for washing dishes, hands etc. If you want hot water you first turn on the cold tap then open the hot tap which turns on steam to the heat exchanger on the cold tap delivery, it can come through boiling if you over do it and as the sink is ceramic, its best not allow this to happen. Delightfully simple and you empty all the pipework and turn off all skin cocks before winter.

JohnG
Last edited by johngriffiths on Mon Feb 29, 2016 10:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
Dhutch
Full Steam Ahead
Full Steam Ahead
Boat Name: SNB Emily Anne

Post by Dhutch » Sun Feb 28, 2016 9:52 pm

Sounds simple and effective, if much less suited to a canal boat! Fortunately Windermere is nice and clean.

Daniel
barts
Full Steam Ahead
Full Steam Ahead
Boat Name: Otter, Rainbow

Post by barts » Sun Feb 28, 2016 11:15 pm

One approach for the original poster's shower is a Watts tempering valve. This blends hot and cold water together to produce a safe-for-people stream of water from an otherwise excessively hot water heater. Some RVs use a similar approach so that the six or ten gallon water heaters can provide for more showers.

I'm planning on using one so that I can heat the domestic hot water from the condenser cooling circuit on Sea Lion.

- Bart
-------
Bart Smaalders http://smaalders.net/barts Lopez Island, WA
Lopez Mike
Full Steam Ahead
Full Steam Ahead
Boat Name: S.L. Spiffy

Post by Lopez Mike » Mon Feb 29, 2016 3:06 am

I have given some thought to installing one of those valves in our RV but Barbara and I would never agree on the setting. I prefer a fairly normal shower whereas she enjoys being parboiled.
If you think you are too small to make a difference, try sleeping with a mosquito.
Dalai Lama