Who is FSW ST 5a builder

For the non-technical side of living with Steamboats, videos and general pictures.
Mike Cole
Full Steam Ahead
Full Steam Ahead
Boat Name: Blue Buccaneer

Who is FSW ST 5a builder

Post by Mike Cole » Sun Aug 30, 2015 6:43 pm

Hi all

When i bought my boat I was told the engine and boiler were both by Antony Beaver, who ever on giving it a good clean I found the valve chest cover marked FSW and the date 1985. Does any body know who this could be. The engine is build to a very high standard, very much modifed from a standard ST5a. For example balanced crank and hollow alloy con rod.

Thanks
Mike

PS I will try and post some pics
Mike Cole
Dhutch
Full Steam Ahead
Full Steam Ahead
Boat Name: SNB Emily Anne

Re: Who is FSW ST 5a builder

Post by Dhutch » Wed Dec 09, 2015 5:00 pm

Obvious options are.
- The seller didnt know and or was wrong.
- The engine was refurbished or rebuild by rather then build by Anthony.
- The engine is new built Anthony, but re-using some parts from an older engine.

Both of the two Anthony Beaver engines I have spent time with (ours and Tixals) very clearly display is name on a substantial circular plate coving most of the low pressure cylinder cover and while there may be exceptions I expect many of his other engines also have clear plates on them. Tixals engine is dated 1986 and ours 1991, both 4.5+7.5x4 AA (Arthur) Leak design compounds.

Daniel
Mike Cole
Full Steam Ahead
Full Steam Ahead
Boat Name: Blue Buccaneer

Re: Who is FSW ST 5a builder

Post by Mike Cole » Wed Dec 09, 2015 6:30 pm

I know the boiler is his , paper work , and the engine and boiler togeter were bought mounted on a plate/ frame, can,t think of the right word now. the pan the whole lot sits on.

Mike

(not one of my better posts, it was a long day at work)
Mike Cole