Who uses this forum and why?

For the non-technical side of living with Steamboats, videos and general pictures.
farmerden
Stirring the Pot
Stirring the Pot
Boat Name: Steam Queen

Re: Who uses this forum and why?

Post by farmerden » Sun Dec 06, 2015 2:52 pm

I am a "Lone Wolf" [no club] and have been on this forum for longer than I remember! I consider the people here my friends and would again like to thank Simon for founding this site. And I hope he doesn't wash away with the rains!! Den :lol:
Dhutch
Full Steam Ahead
Full Steam Ahead
Boat Name: SNB Emily Anne

Post by Dhutch » Wed Dec 09, 2015 12:25 am

There sure is a lot of rain where Simon is based!

For reference, for anyone who can access it, the same topic is going on the SBA forums.
http://www.steamboatassociation.org.uk/ ... 40#3688703

Daniel
PeteThePen1
Full Steam Ahead
Full Steam Ahead

Post by PeteThePen1 » Sat Dec 12, 2015 10:25 pm

Hi Daniel

I use this site most often, not least to follow some of the amazing stories like 'Next Weekend' and the stuff that Rainer does. It is also a useful source of information, provided I can get the search term right! I also like to follow the 'stories' of various members who have become friends in the ether so to speak.

The SBA site rather strikes me as being a bit of a duplication, though I may be jaundiced since most of the questions I have asked in the past have got zero replies. To be fair my latest questions about by-pass valves did yield some answers.

Hope this helps.

Regards

Pete
Mfoxchicago
Full Steam Ahead
Full Steam Ahead
Boat Name: PS Tule Princess

Post by Mfoxchicago » Sun Dec 13, 2015 4:24 pm

Capt. Mack & TULE PRINCESS' Crew use The Steamboating Forum as our primary source of technical & social interaction with the broader steamboating community at large. We maintain our own website, actively share and market on Facebook & Twitter. Being a school teacher, I find I don't have as much time as I'd like to browse through the vast data here. However, whenever we encounter an issue aboard TULE - I always come here to seek sage advice and mountains of kind, gracious and often humorous input.

I have a great deal of appreciation and admiration for this site's creators and stewards.

Thank you! Merry Christmas to all!
Capt. Mack H Fox
TULE PRINCESS STEAMBOAT CO.
Lake Nasworthy, San Angelo, Texas

Follow us as:
Facebook - @Tule Princess
Twitter - @tuleprincess
Website - www.tuleprincess.com
TahoeSteam
Full Steam Ahead
Full Steam Ahead
Boat Name: Wayward Belle

Post by TahoeSteam » Sun Dec 13, 2015 11:06 pm

I try to keep up with the forum as often as my job allows me.. this summer it was almost nil. I usually have a little time to read with my phone whilst on the toilet haha. Not much time to reply! I enjoy the vast knowledge on this forum brought from all corners of the world, and open for all the curious people to see. I greatly appreciate all of the work Simon has put into this. The steam community and its continuance into the future with the millennial generation and generations to come are forever indebted to people like Simon and Ranier (for his database) for their contributions.

I am a SBA member, and only visit that forum semi-annually at best. Too much of a hassle to log in to see there's been one post in two months. if one wants to bring more new interested people into the hobby, then having private forums and "secret society meetings" is counterproductive.
Bert Blik
Lighting the Boiler
Lighting the Boiler
Boat Name: Araminta

Post by Bert Blik » Mon Dec 14, 2015 6:40 am

Like a lot of you replying to this post I access this site at least once a day to get my daily steam boating" fix". And as an SBA member I do look at the SBA forum from time to time but not nearly as often as I do this at this forum.

And as far as the other social media like Facebook or Twitter are concerned, I don't really do these. I've never " twittered "in my life and only because one of my colleagues made an account for me , I have a Facebook account but I have a look at that about once a month and never post anything on it.

Bert