Great way to carry and handle oil

For the non-technical side of living with Steamboats, videos and general pictures.
DetroiTug
Full Steam Ahead
Full Steam Ahead
Boat Name: Iron Chief

Great way to carry and handle oil

Post by DetroiTug » Thu Oct 04, 2018 4:07 pm

I've been running the steam tug and steam car for the last number of years and I've always disliked filling the oilers, especially under way on the tug. The Steam oil is stringy, runs every where, then there is the nasty funnel to initially find and fumble with and it blocks the sight to the fluid level while filling, then it has to be cleaned and stored. I tried antique oil cans with small spouts, seemed they were dust collectors and dripping everywhere.

The best thing I found for Carrying, storing, filling oilers with the least amount of mess and greatest ease is just an old discarded dishwashing liquid bottle. A good durable bottle that seals up tight, it's clear so you can always see how much oil you have, if it's cold and thick, the bottle can be squeezed to force it out (680w). I can throw it in the roadbag (car) and it's not leaking all over the place. And the best part is they are free. Try it.

-Ron
Mike Rometer
Full Steam Ahead
Full Steam Ahead
Boat Name: B.N.Y.S.

Re: Great way to carry and handle oil

Post by Mike Rometer » Thu Oct 04, 2018 4:36 pm

This side of the water (and yours too, no doubt) Gearbox and diff oil comes in squeezy bottles which can be re-purposed for just such a usage. They tend to be a bit tougher than w/up bottles and have a long spout.
Retirement is about doing what floats your boat!

A BODGE : - A Bit Of Damn Good Engineering.
DetroiTug
Full Steam Ahead
Full Steam Ahead

Post by DetroiTug » Thu Oct 04, 2018 5:43 pm

Not to really debate the topic, but I know the bottles you're talking about - those we have here sold for oil, the lid pops off and then snaps back on and then falls off :D

-Ron
Mike Rometer
Full Steam Ahead
Full Steam Ahead

Post by Mike Rometer » Thu Oct 04, 2018 6:26 pm

:lol: :lol: :lol:

The ones we get have a plug for the end of the tube, and the main cap screws on. Haven't got one ATM, or I'd post a pic.

DetroiTug
Full Steam Ahead
Full Steam Ahead

Post by DetroiTug » Thu Oct 04, 2018 7:53 pm

I've never seen oil sold here like that other than light machine oil with a very small tube, no way would steam oil go through there quickly. Would take an hour to fill the reservoir.

-Ron
Mike Rometer
Full Steam Ahead
Full Steam Ahead

Post by Mike Rometer » Fri Oct 05, 2018 8:26 am

These had a 1/2" x 6" Poly tube attached. Oddly I cant even see any on sale ATM, perhaps since most vehicles are now front WD filling Diffs has gone out of favour.