Marina Difficulties?

For the non-technical side of living with Steamboats, videos and general pictures.
TriangleTom
Full Steam Ahead
Full Steam Ahead
Boat Name: No Boat Yet

Marina Difficulties?

Post by TriangleTom » Tue Feb 05, 2019 8:00 am

Has anyone experienced difficulties when navigating a marina? Specifically in regards to the fuel docks, and the prohibition of flame in those areas.
Lopez Mike
Full Steam Ahead
Full Steam Ahead
Boat Name: S.L. Spiffy

Re: Marina Difficulties?

Post by Lopez Mike » Tue Feb 05, 2019 12:37 pm

Since my boat is a wood burner I have not been near a fuel dock in ages. I would have a heck of a time putting out my fire for the short time I would be near one though.

Since this would seem to be more of a problem for an oil fired boat, how much latency do you have in one. I wonder if it would be less of a problem with a fire tube boiler with its larger steam reserves.

I'm interested in hearing about any experiences or problems. I have a propane fridge in my sailboat and have never been asked to extinguish any open flames when at a fuel dock. I didn't think of it and neither did they.

From practical rather than a theoretical considerations, gasoline fumes would be the issue and all of the docks I've been near in years are so concerned about water pollution that very little is spilled. But the fumes displaced during a fill, especially with a large power boat, would surely spread across the water and could easily be ignited by our fire. I've never seen any fume retention efforts as seen at California gas stations.
If you think you are too small to make a difference, try sleeping with a mosquito.
Dalai Lama
DetroiTug
Full Steam Ahead
Full Steam Ahead
Boat Name: Iron Chief

Post by DetroiTug » Tue Feb 05, 2019 1:53 pm

That is a real simple one, stay away from fuel docks with an open fire. No need for a woodfired boat to approach one anyway. There are other places to tie off and walk to the fuel dock if needed.

I was waved in to one once because the marina owner wanted his visiting family to see the boat and I reluctantly agreed after banking the fire and closing the draft to cut down on sparks out the stack, but it was a short uneasy visit.

For an oil fired boat and refueling, shut it down and walk it up and then walk it away and refire.

-Ron
fredrosse
Full Steam Ahead
Full Steam Ahead
Boat Name: Margaret S.

Post by fredrosse » Sat Feb 09, 2019 12:36 pm

In salt/brackish water I need to fill my 15 gallon water tank with drinking water about every 2 hours. I usually just come into any marina and use their water hose to fill my tanks. Have always been welcomed, and no mention about fire concerns. With propane firing and the VFT I can turn the fire off in an instant, and still go a good distance before the steam is gone, but I don't remember anyone giving any thought to the fire status.