1890-1910 50' Sidewheeler

For the non-technical side of living with Steamboats, videos and general pictures.
Dakin1020
Just Starting Out
Just Starting Out
Boat Name: No Boat Yet

1890-1910 50' Sidewheeler

Post by Dakin1020 » Mon May 27, 2019 2:19 pm

I am currently making plans to build a replica of an approximate 50' steam-driven sidewheeler that was used as a sightseeing boat on the Grand River in Michigan during the era of 1890-1910. Many of the boats features are available from photos with the exception of the steam engine and photos showing layout arrangement. It appears from the photos that all steam equipment was placed on deck. The engine and steam boiler may have been an upright model but I'm not sure. Also, I'm not clear of what kind of equipment was used to power the wheel shaft.

The shaft that operates both wheels would be somewhat highter than the deck/floor level if I am correct. Therefore how passengers could pass from one end of the boat to the other is a question needing an answer. Were there steps over the shaft? How did they pass over or get around the shaft? Or perhaps passengers didn't have the opportunity to roam from back to front on the boat? Searching on the Internet hasn't been that successful in finding old photos of similar boats of that era.

The boat I wish to replicate is the Lanota. It operated from the mid-1890's to approximately 1910. It was located in Grand Ledge, Michigan. Photo's if it may be found on the Grand Ledge Historical Society website. Any information regarding the Lanota would be most appreciated. Carl
TahoeSteam
Full Steam Ahead
Full Steam Ahead
Boat Name: Wayward Belle

Re: 1890-1910 50' Sidewheeler

Post by TahoeSteam » Wed Jun 05, 2019 8:57 pm

Hi Carl,

I wasn't able to easily navigate the historical society website on my phone, but a quick online image search revealed some grainy photos of her.

I think there was a step over the shaft. Though, in those days maybe nothing. Back then they tended to rely solely on a person's common sense and physical coordination to keep them safe from harm, both of which seem to have been lost to time...

I suspect the boiler and engine may have been similar to what is found on the River Murray steamers in Australia (see YouTube). Looking very much like a "portable" with the wheels removed; A locomotive style boiler and single cylinder engine mounted on top.