Any german steam boat captains reachable?

For the non-technical side of living with Steamboats, videos and general pictures.
Steam Captain
Full Steam Ahead
Full Steam Ahead
Boat Name: No Boat Yet

Any german steam boat captains reachable?

Post by Steam Captain » Mon Jul 15, 2019 10:16 am

Hey,

I am currently looking to get in contact with people owning a steam boat. I've autodidactively studied steam engines and boilers for years, but I've never been close to a private steam launch. Plus it would be nice to have someone to talk to about steam topics.

Is anyone reading this here in northern or middle Germany or knows someone who is?
the arduino version steam engine indicator: https://app.box.com/s/b2i0z3gw6ny3rcfdet5xjg8ubrfu799i - app version coming soon
Excuse my occasional long response time. It's caused by the side effects from ptsd.
RGSP
Full Steam Ahead
Full Steam Ahead
Boat Name: Platypus, Shelduck

Re: Any german steam boat captains reachable?

Post by RGSP » Mon Jul 15, 2019 4:24 pm

The Steam Boat Association of Great Britain (usually shortened to "The SBA") lists 13 members in Germany; association rules do not allow publication of members names and addresses, but the SBA Register lists over 20 steamboats in the country, and has free access. The SBA website is at: https://www.steamboatassociation.co.uk/ The Register is accessible via the tab labelled "Steamboats", and then the Advanced Search facility allows you to find boats based in Germany. The information for each boat varies, but sometimes there is quite a lot, and you may be able to use Google etc. and track down the owner.

Joining the SBA would give you access to other members' names and addresses, including the German ones of course. Membership also gets you four copies of the Association Journal "The Funnel", which is a major source of steamboat related information. I am not sure of the exact annual cost, but it's a little higher to cover the cost of mailing the journal to a non-UK address, and I think it's going to come to around 30 euros.
Steam Captain
Full Steam Ahead
Full Steam Ahead

Post by Steam Captain » Mon Jul 15, 2019 6:52 pm

Thanks for the idea. I was looking into the german version of the SBA, but it follows the same principles. And actually it's smart to not to openly publish adresses like nothing.

Well 30€ annually is something even a student can afford. I also tried to mail Rainer Radow as he seems to be very dedicated to the german steam boat community. But he's probably a very busy guy with all his projects:)

I know at least about one other forum member called Dampfspieler, but he doesn't seem to have a boat yet. But he just lives 100 miles away in the brown water navy area.
Last edited by Steam Captain on Tue Jul 16, 2019 4:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
the arduino version steam engine indicator: https://app.box.com/s/b2i0z3gw6ny3rcfdet5xjg8ubrfu799i - app version coming soon
Excuse my occasional long response time. It's caused by the side effects from ptsd.
fredrosse
Full Steam Ahead
Full Steam Ahead
Boat Name: Margaret S.

Post by fredrosse » Tue Jul 16, 2019 3:45 pm

Steam Captain
Full Steam Ahead
Full Steam Ahead

Post by Steam Captain » Tue Jul 16, 2019 4:45 pm

I already found it, but many thanks of course. They seem to have the same restrictions, that finding an address is rare, but I've found a phone number to ring through.