Where Fred goes when he dies.

For the non-technical side of living with Steamboats, videos and general pictures.
Lopez Mike
Full Steam Ahead
Full Steam Ahead
Boat Name: S.L. Spiffy

Where Fred goes when he dies.

Post by Lopez Mike » Tue Jul 23, 2019 11:39 pm

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_4K8fsYds5E

The turn near the end is sooo cool. Fred? You need to add differential paddle drive so you can do this.
If you think you are too small to make a difference, try sleeping with a mosquito.
Dalai Lama
Mike Rometer
Full Steam Ahead
Full Steam Ahead
Boat Name: B.N.Y.S.

Re: Where Fred goes when he dies.

Post by Mike Rometer » Wed Jul 24, 2019 8:24 am

Interesting the different paddle configurations, some were mid-ships and some MUCH further forward, I suspect they would have had a bit more difficulty with that last manoeuvre.

One wonders what effect the new safety rules for pleasure boats will have on them. Some Thames boats are claiming they will be put out of business due to the massively expensive alterations they will need to make to comply.

Nice one Mike!
Retirement is about doing what floats your boat!

A BODGE : - A Bit Of Damn Good Engineering.
TriangleTom
Full Steam Ahead
Full Steam Ahead
Boat Name: No Boat Yet

Post by TriangleTom » Wed Jul 24, 2019 11:37 pm

Mike Rometer wrote:
Wed Jul 24, 2019 8:24 am
Interesting the different paddle configurations, some were mid-ships and some MUCH further forward, I suspect they would have had a bit more difficulty with that last manoeuvre.

Nice one Mike!
Speaking of different configurations, why is it that sidewheelers prevailed in Europe while sternwheelers proved more popular in the United States?
Lopez Mike
Full Steam Ahead
Full Steam Ahead
Boat Name: S.L. Spiffy

Post by Lopez Mike » Thu Jul 25, 2019 12:30 am

Pure speculation but it might be because of the difference in the waterways. The iconic western rivers boat was used on the Mississippi and Missouri where the river was pretty much in a state of nature and parallel tie-ups to the bank were normal.

There were lots of side wheelers in North America but all of them that I've seen were places like New York harbor and San Francisco bay where service was to a dock.

Surely someone here will know.
If you think you are too small to make a difference, try sleeping with a mosquito.
Dalai Lama
fredrosse
Full Steam Ahead
Full Steam Ahead
Boat Name: Margaret S.

Post by fredrosse » Sun Jul 28, 2019 2:22 pm

Mike, I think you are right about that reasoning. On the east USA coast there were almost all sidewheelers, and on ocean service I have never seen sternwheelers. Cross Atlantic service was initially with sidewheelers, and sternwheelers are less suited to rough waters. That being said, sidewheelers don't do too well in rough water either, but far better than sternwheelers.

By the way, thanks for the title of this thread. Back in the 1980s I was in the engine room of the Concordia (Lake Como) almost every Saturday, until Chernobyl ended my Italy day job. We were 1250 miles from that accident, but Italy had to throw out all their produce for about 6 weeks, and all children had to be kept inside for six weeks.