Website Introduction

For the non-technical side of living with Steamboats, videos and general pictures.
fredrosse
Full Steam Ahead
Full Steam Ahead
Boat Name: Margaret S.

Website Introduction

Post by fredrosse » Thu Aug 22, 2019 1:35 pm

In the “Welcome to the Steamboating Forum” page, the second paragraph on this page reads thus:

Website part, though still expanding, is here to give you the general idea about steamboats, steam engines and why anyone would possibly want to own such a temperamental, slow and often noisy machine.

This introductory statement hardly promotes our steamboating endeavors, as it presents a very pessimistic view, and in fact there are many positive features of steam. I would like to suggest that the introduction be revised to read like this:

The Website part, though still expanding, is here to give you the general idea about steamboats, steam engines and why those among us want to own such versatile, reliable, low vibration and unusually quiet machines.

Or something else from those who are better writers than engineers
Mike Rometer
Full Steam Ahead
Full Steam Ahead
Boat Name: B.N.Y.S.

Re: Website Introduction

Post by Mike Rometer » Thu Aug 22, 2019 2:44 pm

Not wishing to 'rock the boat' (terrible pun, but practically unavoidable) I do kinda agree. We are a welcoming bunch (you have to be - you put up with me!), it would be nice if the intro was such as well, and painted a pleasant tranquil picture. A question of the keyboard being mightier than the coal shovel. Perhaps Pete the Pen is up to the job, if Admin agrees.
Retirement is about doing what floats your boat!

A BODGE : - A Bit Of Damn Good Engineering.
PeteThePen1
Full Steam Ahead
Full Steam Ahead

Re: Website Introduction

Post by PeteThePen1 » Thu Aug 22, 2019 3:47 pm

Well, a wink is as good as a nod to a blind horse, but there is a small problem. I have had a look for the section mentioned and not found it. The first part of the Welcome section is all about the (sensible) rules of the Forum...

As ever, you assistance would be welcome.

Pete

EDIT - Red Face time for this Member. I now realise that the relevant place is the pre-forum page of the site [thesteamboatingforum.net]. I usually skip straight to the forum page which is why I had forgotten the preceding page. I will give the text some thought but the suggestion so far looks good to me at first reading.