Steaming Season

For the non-technical side of living with Steamboats, videos and general pictures.
RNoe
Full Steam Ahead
Full Steam Ahead
Boat Name: Cluaran

Steaming Season

Post by RNoe » Tue Sep 03, 2019 12:29 am

The lack of activity here might indicate everyone is out in their steam launches having fun.
Or I have no idea of the normal traffic here. Quite possible.

'Hope you are all out enjoying your Steam Machines.
RussN
TahoeSteam
Full Steam Ahead
Full Steam Ahead
Boat Name: Wayward Belle

Re: Steaming Season

Post by TahoeSteam » Tue Sep 03, 2019 2:26 am

We made a 50 mile run in the Persistance on Saturday and a 25 mile run two weekends before that... I think it's safe to say that steaming is in full swing.
RNoe
Full Steam Ahead
Full Steam Ahead

Post by RNoe » Tue Sep 03, 2019 3:26 pm

Wesley:
Thanks for your response.
I will now register my serious jealousy of your steaming adventures.
My S.L. is still several weeks away from first testing.
All in due time, and then winter will be here...
Cheers and Good Steam,
RussN
steamdon-jr
Full Steam Ahead
Full Steam Ahead
Boat Name: SL Phoebe Snow

Post by steamdon-jr » Thu Sep 05, 2019 12:35 am

not keeping track of miles but we have been out quite a few times, have my3 day steam meet coming up in October....where are you from and what are you building ?
RNoe
Full Steam Ahead
Full Steam Ahead

Post by RNoe » Thu Sep 05, 2019 3:38 pm

steamdon-jr wrote:
Thu Sep 05, 2019 12:35 am
not keeping track of miles but we have been out quite a few times, have my3 day steam meet coming up in October....where are you from and what are you building ?
steamdon-jr:
I'm finishing the restoration of a 17-ft Thistle sailboat that has been Steamed.
You can review my thread about this boat.

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=2158

I live 15 miles north of the peak of Mt. Hood in northern Oregon, USA.
"It's all downhill from here..."
RussN
cyberbadger
Full Steam Ahead
Full Steam Ahead
Boat Name: SL Nyitra

Post by cyberbadger » Fri Sep 06, 2019 4:58 am

I think barts or fred says it best that this forum goes in fits and starts.

Nyitra had her1890s Classic Sail Vs Steam Race, and lost this year. She is currently in my friends pond so we can do some controlled performance testing. There are just so many variables, and when I steam alone Nyitra is quite the handful. I'm actually working on a firebox insert to have the option of quickly converting to propane(possibly also kerosene). That plus a long lever to run the injector from the skippers seat would make it more doable to steam alone. I'm dreaming of a long distance down river trip down the Ohio River, and I need to embrace some different fuel options for a long trip.

-CB
DetroiTug
Full Steam Ahead
Full Steam Ahead
Boat Name: Iron Chief

Post by DetroiTug » Fri Sep 06, 2019 2:21 pm

RNoe wrote:
Tue Sep 03, 2019 12:29 am
The lack of activity here might indicate everyone is out in their steam launches having fun.
Or I have no idea of the normal traffic here. Quite possible.

'Hope you are all out enjoying your Steam Machines.
RussN
In Michigan, Labor Day is sort of the end of the boating season (It can snow here in September). I kept Chief up at Algonac on the Saint Clair river, docked at a friends house. That was so much nicer than trailering it. Just come in at dark, shut it all down and leave. Beginning of the day, just wood up, fire up and take off. I hauled it out last weekend and winterized it. I found a great way for doing that as the piping on the tug is very complicated i.e. 5 different feed water systems, hot and cold water storage tanks. I bought a handpump chemical sprayer that people use for spraying fruit trees etc. which holds about 2 gallons. I put the antifreeze in that and then removed the wand with jet and put a piece of rubber hose that I could attach to each line with 1/4" pipe X flare fittings, it still has the control valve on it. Just pump it up and squirt the antifreeze in each line until it came out the other end. I had the boiler blow downs open, and I had my buddy watch underneath until it was running out the blow downs for each feed water system. Super easy and effective.

-Ron
RNoe
Full Steam Ahead
Full Steam Ahead

Post by RNoe » Fri Sep 06, 2019 3:52 pm

Ron:
Glad you re ready for winter. Many systems to protect on your Tug.
I just winterized my two Russian motorcycles, and fear my steam launch won't be ready for a test run before winter.
Fall is definitely setting in here this weekend.
RusssN
Lopez Mike
Full Steam Ahead
Full Steam Ahead
Boat Name: S.L. Spiffy

Post by Lopez Mike » Fri Sep 06, 2019 6:24 pm

I've gone sort of the opposite direction with my power plant. I have a home made fitting that attaches to my wet or dry vacuum. It has a short length of clear tubing so I can see if there is any more water being sucked out. Hooked up to various disconnected piping it gets everything out.

It really does the job especially around complicated things like swinging check valves. Between this method and a hot blowdown I have zero freeze damage for five years. Of course my idea of cold weather is a week or so of frost. Not living in Icepick, Minnesota has its advantages.
If you think you are too small to make a difference, try sleeping with a mosquito.
Dalai Lama
RNoe
Full Steam Ahead
Full Steam Ahead

Post by RNoe » Sat Sep 07, 2019 5:13 am

Lopez Mike:
Living on Lopez Island, do you cross paths with Keith Sternberg?
He's a stunning collection of marine steam experience.

Keith and I are primarily connected through our steam locomotives. Steam launches next.
RussN