How to indoctrinate children into the steam hobby

For the non-technical side of living with Steamboats, videos and general pictures.
cyberbadger
Full Steam Ahead
Full Steam Ahead
Boat Name: SL Nyitra

How to indoctrinate children into the steam hobby

Post by cyberbadger » Sun Oct 20, 2019 6:10 pm

I believe Hollywood has been and will continue to be a great way to get children interested in steam technology.

Back to the Future III which came out in 1990 when I was 8 years old, was one of the primary things that got me interested in steam. They travel in time to back to 1885. The Delorean time machine runs out of gasoline when it's fuel tank is pierced by a Native American Arrow. Gasoline was not available then and they use a steam locomotive to push their time machine to the required 88mph to go back to 1985.

In Germany in 2018 a story was adapted from a children's book into the $30 million film, Jim Knopf und Lukas der Lokomotivführer.

The English US version comes out this Nov 8th in US Theatres, Jim Button and Luke the Engine Driver.

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt03072732/

This movie includes sailing a locomotive on a log raft across an ocean - so it has a checkmark for being steamboat related.

I will be taking my two nephews to see this film, I indoctrinated the one nephew at age 12 by making him build me a fire to cross the lake to get icecream.

How many young viewers of this film will grow up to operate a steamboat? Not many, but that's a lot of viewers...

-CB
TahoeSteam
Full Steam Ahead
Full Steam Ahead
Boat Name: Wayward Belle

Re: How to indoctrinate children into the steam hobby

Post by TahoeSteam » Mon Oct 21, 2019 2:06 am

Thanks for the heads up about the film! I'm going to give all my friends with kids a heads up...

Funny, I was just thinking about having a film made today where it would include steam as one of the main elements... Thinking African Queen remake, but that would be sacrilegious!

Didn't the newest Tarzan remake have some steam locomotive and paddlewheeler shots?.. Computer animated and too short surely
Rick A
Full Steam Ahead
Full Steam Ahead
Boat Name: No Boat Yet

Re: How to indoctrinate children into the steam hobby

Post by Rick A » Thu Feb 27, 2020 12:38 am

I say get 'em on a train. Or a boat. Any kind of boat. Any kind of train.And there are live steamer RR clubs all around that I think a child (or adult) would love. I'm in my ^#@***&60's and I still remember my first ride on a steam train up in New Hampshire. Read them Thomas the tank engine books. I think it's all about exposure. Checking out a train or steamboat ride is a great family activity and the dividend is that a child may be introduced to something that could become a lifetime interest.