SBA Small Ads in decline

For the non-technical side of living with Steamboats, videos and general pictures.
PeteThePen1
Full Steam Ahead
Full Steam Ahead

SBA Small Ads in decline

Post by PeteThePen1 » Sun Nov 03, 2019 6:01 pm

Hi Folks

The usually interesting Small Ads section of the SBA website seems to be in terminal decline. I will be chasing the Committee about it soon.

However, I have placed on this Forum two of my ads that were never listed but might be of interest to readers. They are a steam separator for those who puff and the coils for a Blackstaff boiler plus the licence for the design. Details in the Sales area.

I am happy to pack stuff for overseas shipping if anybody not resident in the UK is interested. The current Brexit based low value of the Pound makes the item and shipping cost much lower than it might have been when I bought the items originally. I am not including the left over American Ash that I used for my gratings. I am sure that most locations have a local equivalent obtainable at reasonable cost. If a UK reader is thinking about gratings and fancies the idea of pale wood contrasting with the dark of mahogany, just get in touch.

Regards

Pete
TahoeSteam
Full Steam Ahead
Full Steam Ahead
Boat Name: Wayward Belle

Re: SBA Small Ads in decline

Post by TahoeSteam » Mon Nov 04, 2019 6:31 pm

Hi Pete,

Why do you think it's in decline? More adds on Facebook marketplace/craigslist? Or people keeping things in their clutches until the unlikely time when they come up in price again?

I would caution those purchasing wood across borders... pests and pathogens are a real concern to some customs agents, especially when importing timber/lumber. F yoire wondering why, just ask the folks on the US east coast about the American Chestnut and Asian Chestnut Blight... Do your due diligence and check your local import laws before finding yourself in a pickle.
Mike Rometer
Full Steam Ahead
Full Steam Ahead
Boat Name: B.N.Y.S.

Post by Mike Rometer » Mon Nov 04, 2019 7:18 pm

I have to concur with Pete about the SBA small ads. I tend to watch them daily and often wonder why I bother. It is currently well over a month (16th Sept) since there was any change. It certainly wasn't that way a year or so ago. I think it's only the fear of missing a bargain boat that keeps me going. Are folks waiting for us to quit the EU, in the hope that prices will rise? :lol:
Retirement is about doing what floats your boat!

A BODGE : - A Bit Of Damn Good Engineering.
cyberbadger
Full Steam Ahead
Full Steam Ahead
Boat Name: SL Nyitra

Post by cyberbadger » Thu Nov 07, 2019 2:06 am

I think I've mentioned it before, if you are looking make sure to check:

https://www.enginads.com/classifieds/showcat.php/cat/7

There is currently a steam launch for sale for $12K there.

-CB
Mike Rometer
Full Steam Ahead
Full Steam Ahead
Boat Name: B.N.Y.S.

Post by Mike Rometer » Thu Nov 07, 2019 10:03 am

cyberbadger wrote:
Thu Nov 07, 2019 2:06 am
I think I've mentioned it before, if you are looking make sure to check:

https://www.enginads.com/classifieds/showcat.php/cat/7

There is currently a steam launch for sale for $12K there.

-CB
:lol: :lol: Looking is an occupation in it's own right!

(that one is wrong side of the pond. ;) )
Retirement is about doing what floats your boat!

A BODGE : - A Bit Of Damn Good Engineering.
cyberbadger
Full Steam Ahead
Full Steam Ahead
Boat Name: SL Nyitra

Post by cyberbadger » Fri Nov 08, 2019 12:30 am

Mike Rometer wrote:
Thu Nov 07, 2019 10:03 am
(that one is wrong side of the pond. ;) )
That's alright, if you care enough there are ways to get our toy boats across the Atlantic.

I got an engine made by John Winn in the UK to The US by temporarily becoming a UPS Shipper and returning a package to the shipper! :lol:

I now am a dual citizen of the US and Hungary(EU), and I certainly have thought about going on an adventure on the Danube in a steam launch I some how manage to produce/buy/borrow. Details to be worked out later.

If you don't dream big, you can miss out on good deals.

I think a $12K launch is very cheap. Cheap enough to consider shipping costs.

-CB

P.S. As an aside, there have been rich citizens of the UK who have come to the US and won at auction and taken huge steam traction engines that weigh many tons back to the UK. None of this is new really...
Mike Cole
Full Steam Ahead
Full Steam Ahead
Boat Name: Blue Buccaneer

Post by Mike Cole » Fri Nov 08, 2019 4:30 pm

It can only be in decline if less people post items for sale there. You could try posting your items for sale there as well and double the number of potential buyers ;)

Mike
Mike Cole
PeteThePen1
Full Steam Ahead
Full Steam Ahead

Post by PeteThePen1 » Fri Nov 08, 2019 8:13 pm

Hi Folks

Yes, you are quite right about not shipping timber across borders without all the proper checks for all the 'nasty' stuff that tends to live on trees. So thanks for the reminder. The UK is having lots of problems, I gather, with imported garden plants that are not being properly checked and all sorts of pests have arrived.

The 'decline' suggestion is based only on my experience of sending five items for Small Ads to the suggested address in early September. That seemed to miss the 16th September update and I notice that the SBA website is calling for some volunteers to take on the task of updating the site with material. I suppose my correct post title should have been something like "Implications of the SBA volunteers shortage".

Anyway, I am pleased to report that various items have now been sold leaving only the Water Separator and the timber to go.

In the context of selling things, our house is currently on the market. If it sells quickly, which I doubt, then Frances Ann may have to go on the market too. So, Cyber Badger, here is a potential European launch for you though possibly a touch small and tender for the Danube.

Regards

Pete