Steam yachts and launches 1887

For the non-technical side of living with Steamboats, videos and general pictures.
Rick A
Full Steam Ahead
Full Steam Ahead
Boat Name: No Boat Yet

Steam yachts and launches 1887

Post by Rick A » Wed Mar 11, 2020 6:59 pm

Steam yachts and launches, their machinery and manegement : A review of the steam engine as applied to yachts ; laws governing yachts in American waters ; rules for racing ; rules for building ; pilot regulations ; specific types of machinery ; design of hulls ; etc., etc., etc.-- 1887
by Kunhardt, C. P

https://archive.org/details/steamyachts ... willard+co
fredrosse
Full Steam Ahead
Full Steam Ahead
Boat Name: Margaret S.

Re: Steam yachts and launches 1887

Post by fredrosse » Thu Mar 12, 2020 3:13 pm

Great to have a look at this book. The Colt Firearms Steam Engine is a new one for me, made so similar to the six gun that made Colt famous. Instructions on how to operate a naptha launch engine is interesting, and far less complicated than I had imagined.

And finally, statements about piston rings that require absolutely no lubrication. That is something I have been searching to find for several decades, always with limited success. I have often seen statements about running with water lubrication (wet steam), only, but that results in the engine complaining before too long. I am going to make some piston rings of the alloy they mention, we will see how well that works.

Thanks so much for this very interesting little book.
Lopez Mike
Full Steam Ahead
Full Steam Ahead
Boat Name: S.L. Spiffy

Re: Steam yachts and launches 1887

Post by Lopez Mike » Thu Mar 12, 2020 3:34 pm

Fred,
My Strath Warrego 3 x 4 with piston valve rings runs fine with nothing beyond my feeding it saturated steam. In this size of engine the relative velocity between the rings and bore is rather low.

Mike
If you think you are too small to make a difference, try sleeping with a mosquito.
Dalai Lama