How are you fairing?

For the non-technical side of living with Steamboats, videos and general pictures.
DetroiTug
Full Steam Ahead
Full Steam Ahead
Boat Name: Iron Chief

Re: How are you fairing?

Post by DetroiTug » Mon Apr 20, 2020 12:15 am

Wes, thanks for asking. I'm hoping everyone and theirs are getting through this unbothered.

I moved out of Detroit last year and so thankful I did, that is one of the nation's hotspots for outbreak, and I would've been right in the middle of it. Where I live now is like another world, largely unaffected, I think we have 2 possible cases in the whole county. All the stores are staying pretty well stocked, there isn't a concentration of cases within a 200 mile radius. Most people here are still practicing safe guidelines though, distancing and wearing masks etc. I'm just staying put in the house or shop until this thing blows over. I haven't put gas in my truck for about four weeks. Gas is $1.25 per gallon here. In Michigan its under one dollar per gallon, but it comes with covid19. Its always something🤨 Ron
TahoeSteam
Full Steam Ahead
Full Steam Ahead
Boat Name: Wayward Belle

Post by TahoeSteam » Thu Apr 23, 2020 8:44 pm

Dietrich,
thank you for sharing that video. Is that for a Climax Class A locomotive, or something else?

Steve,
Do you have any photos of your launch? I'm sure we'd all love to see some steam photos right now.

Ron,
I'm happy to hear you out got out of there and things are a lot safer down south. Incredible fuel prices are so low out there. Gas is still $2.40/gal for regular, and $3.25/gal for diesel out here. The state attorney general should open an investigation.

I'm glad you all are staying safe and healthy. I hope the more silent others are doing the same. We don't need to no lose any more steamboaters than the normal attrition... Wish we didn't have the normal attrition either.

Trying my hand at raising a few meadow maggots (sheep) and cluckers. Help mow the grass, and suppelment my protein consumption.

Hope to build the shop this summer and get some projects indoors... We'll see how this plays out.
DetroiTug
Full Steam Ahead
Full Steam Ahead

Post by DetroiTug » Thu Apr 23, 2020 11:31 pm

Wes,

Michigan is really bad about price gouging on everything, I'm shocked the gas price is that low there, looks like the greedy dropped the ball on that one. The wonderful governor already tried to invoke a 45 cent per gallon tax on it, and the people went berserk. They have a massive recall effort going to get her out.

Just a comparison list to show pricing difference.

Car insurance MI 2200 per year, KY 680 Same vehicle, same company same coverage. Progressive. Detroit area has the highest rates in the USA 80% of the drivers are uninsured. Nearly every accident is a hit and run

License plates, MI 125, KY 20, well 25 because I sprung for the vanity plate. :roll:

Helium argon mix for my TIG. MI 120, KY 55

No tax on groceries.

Property taxes are about 1/4th as much.

People are friendly, and its been high in near 60s, practically all winter, and sunny most days. It will get very hot in July and august, but thats ok, crank up the air conditioner.

Home prices are about half.

You can legally pack a loaded pistol in your car or on your person, no permit, no CCW required. They do background checks at purchase, but thats it. Oddly though, I haven't seen one person carrying. Detroit has open carry, and lots of people do, crime has dropped as a result.

Don't have to register or plate utility trailers

Can ride a four Wheeler anywhere you want except an expressway or interstate, helmet optional., police don't care. If you want it legal put an orange triangle on the back.

They are very tough on crime and hand down harsh penalties for drugs, etc, not a good place to break the law. It's quiet and safe and the state intends to keep it that way.

Oh, and the women are very attractive too, which never hurts. ;)

Ron
Lopez Mike
Full Steam Ahead
Full Steam Ahead
Boat Name: S.L. Spiffy

Post by Lopez Mike » Fri Apr 24, 2020 1:04 am

Doing fine here in Washington State as far as my physical health is concerned. NOT doing well emotionally as I seem to be surrounded by idiots and dolts. None of the people working in the stores seem to be wearing masks. I saw a woman two days ago with a hole cut in her mask for insertion of her cigarette.

And now the idiot county government has closed my nearest launching ramp. This a a major irritant as I was just getting ready to test launch my new hull with the boiler and engine strapped in place to check on my guesses about fore and aft C.G.

As you may know, I'm building a duplicate design to that of Steve Weaver's but using stitch and glue methods. I now have a watertight hull ad the next move is boiler and engine stringers. Not having a large tank in my yard, I'm dependent on a short float to check things out.

So the whole project is on hold and I'm not a happy camper.
If you think you are too small to make a difference, try sleeping with a mosquito.
Dalai Lama
dampfspieler
Full Steam Ahead
Full Steam Ahead
Boat Name: No Boat Yet

Post by dampfspieler » Fri Apr 24, 2020 8:01 am

Hi Wesley,
... Is that for a Climax Class A locomotive, or something else?
no, for a SENTINEL Shunter from Model Engineer published mid of the 60tees. The originals had a high pressure crosstube boiler and the engine had popped valves. For further information this WIKIPEDIA-Article is helpful.

The model
MESirena01.png
MESirena01.png (186.11 KiB) Viewed 6878 times

The original
SENTINEL_Seitenansicht.jpg
SENTINEL_Seitenansicht.jpg (53.26 KiB) Viewed 6878 times

Best
Dietrich
RNoe
Full Steam Ahead
Full Steam Ahead
Boat Name: Cluaran

Post by RNoe » Fri Apr 24, 2020 4:30 pm

We're doing fine here in northern Oregon. Only 4 diagnosed cases of Covid-19 in Hood River County...so far. More on the way I'm sure.
We are being careful. I just turned 70 y.o. last week and figure I need to be extra careful to stay healthy. At least until a vaccination is available.

Since I cannot put my Steam Thistle into the water (nearest boat launch ramps are closed) I've been working on finishing my 7.5" gauge steam locomotive.
Some pics are attached for your entertainment. It is a model of Rayonier (former Polson Logging) 90-ton 2-8-2. Lots of fun building this.

Other than that, steamboat improvements continue:
I'm installing a new 4-chime whistle (received it yesterday),
and a different more sensitive steam atomizer control system:
I rebuilt it from the original Blackstaffe-powered steamer Maggie, 1964 vintage.
We'll see how those work out.
Cheerio all.
RussN
Completed 3 sml.JPG
Completed 2 sml.JPG
Completed 1 sml.JPG
Lopez Mike
Full Steam Ahead
Full Steam Ahead
Boat Name: S.L. Spiffy

Post by Lopez Mike » Sat Jun 12, 2021 3:27 am

WoHoo! Finally getting started again on the new hull after over a year of no action. Between Covid distractions and other duties the hull has been sitting under cover since April of 2020.

Launched the hull with the boiler and engine strapped in place to check my guesses on fore and aft C.G. Looked good. If anything my problems will be that the machinery won't be heavy enough and I'll have to find heavy passengers. I'm building in the capability of shifting the boiler and engine aft as much a as foot without a catastrophic rebuild.

Today bored a subdiameter hole in the rear of the keel for test installation of the shaft. Tomorrow I'll bore it out to the the O.D. of the stern tube. Also tomorrow is making, fitting and bonding in the engine bearers. If there is time the boiler support stringers will get the same treatment.

Feels soooo good to get started again.

Mike
If you think you are too small to make a difference, try sleeping with a mosquito.
Dalai Lama
RNoe
Full Steam Ahead
Full Steam Ahead
Boat Name: Cluaran

Post by RNoe » Sat Jun 12, 2021 6:37 am

Mike:
Good to hear you are working on your boat again.
If possible, please post some pictures for our entertainment?

Last weekend I made a trip to Train Mountain to test run my 2-8-2 locomotive. My first locomotive venture out in 1+ years!
Steams fine, and I have some design changes to figure out to keep the front pony axle from derailing.
An issue with the equalizer setup. There is always something to correct with such complex systems
RussN
IMG_3930.JPG
DetroiTug
Full Steam Ahead
Full Steam Ahead

Post by DetroiTug » Sat Jun 12, 2021 3:34 pm

Mike, To quote the kids on the internet

"Pics or it didn't happen'' :lol:

Ron
dampfspieler
Full Steam Ahead
Full Steam Ahead
Boat Name: No Boat Yet

Post by dampfspieler » Sat Jun 12, 2021 6:26 pm

Hi Ron,

here some pictures from the trip with my steam lorry MARTIN on Ascension Day this year.
20210513_MARTIN_Safetyvalve-test.png
https://youtu.be/kIcPuzxuyFs

Dietrich