Engine and boiler went through a building fire

For the non-technical side of living with Steamboats, videos and general pictures.
DetroiTug
Full Steam Ahead
Full Steam Ahead
Boat Name: Iron Chief

Re: Engine and boiler went through a building fire

Post by DetroiTug » Wed Jun 23, 2021 4:13 pm

Fred,

Yes, it's sort of forgotten history or never taught. Murdoch was definitely a significant part of early steam. He also pioneered coal gasification and set up processing, scrubbing, storage and distribution for home lighting and cooking near his facility. As well as a supply of coke for area blacksmiths and foundries. He worked for Watt as a field superintendent. Watt threatened to fire him if he experimented with strong steam any more after his road vehicle tests. I think it's safe to say Watt and his patent delayed the industrial revolution by 10 er so years. Although considering these early boilers were built cast and wrought iron, he likely saved countless lives as well. Trevethick was a bit of a loose cannon and fearless, his attitude was ''That one blew up, lets build another one'' Sometimes that's what it takes though, similar to our early rocket program.

Out of all the people up to that point in the late 1800's 1890 onward, Whitney is the guy that got it right with his Motorette design. Many say Duryea etc, but they were dismal performers in comparison. The motorette was easy and reliable starting, quiet, easy to drive, comfortable and most importantly to the buying public, fast uphill and downhill. The Stanleys copied his car, added a few features which they patented, most significant was wire winding the boiler which allowed them to double the operating pressure and the vehicle could achieve the unheard of speeds of 40 mph. They sold their ''design'' to Locomobile which largely infringed on the Whitney patent, lawsuits were filed and Whitney won all of them. Chasing the genealogy, the Motorette really began our automotive industry, based on what I've read. The quadracycle was an early experiment that never got close to production. The curved dash olds didn't appear until 1901. Several other small concerns that never produced in significant numbers.

Ron
fredrosse
Full Steam Ahead
Full Steam Ahead
Boat Name: Margaret S.

Post by fredrosse » Thu Jun 24, 2021 12:01 am

The Stanley Rocket set the world speed record for automobiles in 1906, 127MPH. I believe that record was not broken for 6 years.
The following year Stanley wrecked on Daytona beach, ending the Stanley's interest in racing. After the 1906 record, Stanley built three automobiles with the Rocket power plant, and two were lost over the decades. One remains in excellent condition.

Also interesting to note that Glen Curtis went 136MPH in 1906 at Daytona also, but on a motorcycle, powered by a V8 air cooled IC engine he had made for his aeroplane. I have gone about that fast on a GSXR, and find it amazing that 136 MPH was achieved way back then without all the racer replica technology of today's world. That bike is at the Smithsonian in DC. I guess many of us know of the company, Curtis-Wright.
DetroiTug
Full Steam Ahead
Full Steam Ahead
Boat Name: Iron Chief

Post by DetroiTug » Thu Jun 24, 2021 12:40 am

Fred,

Curtiss also invented the aileron to get around the Wrights patent on wing warping. Fred Marriot claimed in 1907 when the Stanley racer went airborn he was traveling in excess of 150 mph, gauging by the mile markers. He was laying down with tiller steering.

Ron
TahoeSteam
Full Steam Ahead
Full Steam Ahead
Boat Name: Wayward Belle

Post by TahoeSteam » Thu Jun 24, 2021 2:13 am

I remember reading how the Ida F burned in "The Steam Launch"

I'm happy to see the machinery has survived and you'll be restoring it. I've always been intrigued by Whitney's triangle compounds.
tom1356
Just Starting Out
Just Starting Out
Boat Name: No Boat Yet

Post by tom1356 » Thu Jun 24, 2021 2:26 pm

TahoeSteam wrote:
Thu Jun 24, 2021 2:13 am
I remember reading how the Ida F burned in "The Steam Launch"

I'm happy to see the machinery has survived and you'll be restoring it. I've always been intrigued by Whitney's triangle compounds.
I'm looking forward to seeing it run. Should be quite a treat.
This is a clip of four small George Whitney engines running on steam on my deck at the same time.

https://youtu.be/VEH1_MUskCg