The Funnel, and SBA

For the non-technical side of living with Steamboats, videos and general pictures.
Kelly Anderson
Full Steam Ahead
Full Steam Ahead
Boat Name: Vividus

The Funnel, and SBA

Post by Kelly Anderson » Tue Jan 25, 2022 7:47 pm

Does anyone have a forecast as to when the next issue of the Funnel will be published? I recall that they said that this issue was going to be late, but not by how much. I'm getting the shakes...

Also, on the SBA website, the listing of steamboat videos has gone blank. I hope that it will return.

Thanks.
Clayton, NY June 2021.jpg
Clayton, NY June 2021.jpg (141.89 KiB) Viewed 4881 times
It was not easy to convince Allnutt. All his shop training had given him a profound prejudice against inexact work, experimental work, hit-or-miss work.
PeteThePen1
Full Steam Ahead
Full Steam Ahead

Re: The Funnel, and SBA

Post by PeteThePen1 » Tue Jan 25, 2022 8:51 pm

Hi Kelly and Steamboating Friends

I don't think I am 'leaking' news, but the story I have discovered is that there was a bit of a bust up between the Committe and the then Editor of Funnel. It is rumoured that the then Editor then 'stomped off' leaving the Association in a bit of a spot. I suspect that there was then much leaning on people who might be susceptible to leaning and eventually Kevin Slater has agreed to take on the task. However he is picking up from a zero base. I have sent him some material for the next issue, but I suspect he will not have too much to be going on yet. So fingers crossed, but sadly no dates on offer.

As for the website I must admit to not having seen the loss of the videos. I will check and send a note to Roger and see if he is working on the site. Since I post the Small Ads I do know that the site is getting up to the top end of its allocated space on the publisher's server. It may be that Roger has taken them down to free up some space temporarily. However this is all speculation.

Best wishes

Pete
PeteThePen1
Full Steam Ahead
Full Steam Ahead

Post by PeteThePen1 » Wed Jan 26, 2022 10:21 am

Update

I have now heard from our Webmaster who reports that:

"A java script file no longer gets loaded to browsers from the server - there is some (new) issue with non-conformance to MIME standards - but why this is is a complete mystery to me.
I have various sources of advice active - but no solutions as yet."

Regards

Pete
Kelly Anderson
Full Steam Ahead
Full Steam Ahead

Post by Kelly Anderson » Wed Jan 26, 2022 4:23 pm

Thanks for the info Pete. It's unfortunate that publications on both sides of the pond happened to implode at the same time.

Is funnel@steamboatassociation.co.uk the proper address for submitting articles? I have a couple that I submitted to The Smokestack that were never published.
It was not easy to convince Allnutt. All his shop training had given him a profound prejudice against inexact work, experimental work, hit-or-miss work.
PeteThePen1
Full Steam Ahead
Full Steam Ahead

Post by PeteThePen1 » Thu Jan 27, 2022 12:12 pm

Hi Kelly and Friends

Yes, funnel@steamboatassociation.org.uk is correct. Alternatively you can send stuff to Kevin at his email shown on the Members page. Alternatively, you can send stuff to me and I can proof read it then pass it on as 'oven ready'.

Yes, very sad that these publications are having hiccups when many of us are still in compulsory or voluntary lock down. Happily here in this part of Wales the rate is now down to 210 per 100,000 which is better than is has been for a while. The age profile has also changed a bit now with the bulge in the 10-40 age range, so parents & kids still represent a high risk group to encounter (we live close to 3 schools!).

Hope you are all keeping safe and well.

Regards

Pete
Kelly Anderson
Full Steam Ahead
Full Steam Ahead

Post by Kelly Anderson » Sat Jan 29, 2022 2:40 am

Thanks Pete. I have forwarded two articles to the editor.
Kelly Anderson
Full Steam Ahead
Full Steam Ahead

Post by Kelly Anderson » Sun Feb 06, 2022 11:22 pm

I understand that The Funnel is "in the mail", and I see that the videos are back up on the site. Thanks to everyone responsible!