Rivet for boiler dutch steamtug www.Dockyardv.nl

For the non-technical side of living with Steamboats, videos and general pictures.
Jeroen
Just Starting Out
Just Starting Out
Boat Name: www.Dockyardv.nl

Rivet for boiler dutch steamtug www.Dockyardv.nl

Post by Jeroen » Tue Nov 22, 2022 3:28 pm

Dear all, myself working as a volunteer on a steamtug in the Netherlands, the boiler is due for its 40 yearly re-certification. 10% of the rivets (22 pcs) must be removed in order to allow boiler material inspection. Currently we are seeking for
30 pcs 1 1/16 inch (27 mm) diameter x 5 inch (125 mm) steel rivets. Would somebody be able to advise me an address where we can obtain these rivets?
Many thanks
Jeroen +31646712837
www.dockyardv.nl
Kelly Anderson
Full Steam Ahead
Full Steam Ahead
Boat Name: Vividus

Re: Rivet for boiler dutch steamtug www.Dockyardv.nl

Post by Kelly Anderson » Tue Nov 22, 2022 4:54 pm

You might contact Erich Armpriester at the Strasburg Rail Road.

Strasburg Rail Road

erich.armpriester@strasburgrailroad.com
It was not easy to convince Allnutt. All his shop training had given him a profound prejudice against inexact work, experimental work, hit-or-miss work.
Jeroen
Just Starting Out
Just Starting Out

Post by Jeroen » Tue Nov 22, 2022 8:13 pm

Manu thanks
PeteThePen1
Full Steam Ahead
Full Steam Ahead

Post by PeteThePen1 » Wed Nov 23, 2022 3:38 pm

Hi Jeroen

Whilst rivets are not my speciality, I do quite well at internet searching. I wondered if you had found Jay-Cee Sales and Riverts inc [https://www.rivetsonline.com/rivets] a US company that has rivets of the right diameter, but are not advertising the length you want. If contacted they might well be willing to cut some special length rivets for you. However, I have no experience of, or links with, the business.

Regards

Pete
Kelly Anderson
Full Steam Ahead
Full Steam Ahead

Post by Kelly Anderson » Wed Nov 23, 2022 11:18 pm

I am familiar with JayCee and I don't believe that they offer rivets that are suitable for boiler work, their stock being too hard for effective driving on the soft steel used in antique boilers.
It was not easy to convince Allnutt. All his shop training had given him a profound prejudice against inexact work, experimental work, hit-or-miss work.
Jeroen
Just Starting Out
Just Starting Out

Post by Jeroen » Thu Nov 24, 2022 8:33 am

Dear Pete, Kelly thanks for feedback. Kelly I agree with you this supplier likely does not supply rivets for a steamboiler (14 bar! pressure) purpose. Basically we need rivets made of ductile steel S235 or equivalent. Let me try this supplier anyways, perhaps they lead me to an unexplored avenue.
Kelly Anderson
Full Steam Ahead
Full Steam Ahead

Post by Kelly Anderson » Thu Nov 24, 2022 10:20 pm

I would think that the UK would be the first choice for you. Look at this video starting at 10:40. https://youtu.be/ZNvSUqaVHhA
Lopez Mike
Full Steam Ahead
Full Steam Ahead
Boat Name: S.L. Spiffy

Post by Lopez Mike » Mon Nov 28, 2022 1:28 am

If you know the specifications of the steel used, why not make them on a lathe? 30 pieces isn't that big a job.

Soft steels can be troublesome to get a good finish but it is quite doable. If you are concerned about subsurface flaws, magnetic testing isn't that expensive and should satisfy any rational boiler inspector. Especially if the inspector is consulted in advance.

That said, I would look into rivets that are too long and then cut them to length.

Mike
If you think you are too small to make a difference, try sleeping with a mosquito.
Dalai Lama
Jeroen
Just Starting Out
Just Starting Out

Post by Jeroen » Mon Nov 28, 2022 8:26 am

Making them on a lathe would be a second best option, it needs to be outsourced which makes it more costly. To put it in perspective, the boiler recertification is part of other major scopes in 2023 such as re-tubing of the boiler and a drydock of the vessel with steel replacement. Currently we are in a fund raising process to cover these costs. The classification company, does not allow alternative methods on 10% rivet removal for rivet hole inspection, because the boiler shell is locally build up in three layers of steel (sandwiched) of 72 mm in total. Rivets that are too long would be acceptable as well, indeed these can be cut to the right length.
Regards Jeroen
Bert Blik
Lighting the Boiler
Lighting the Boiler
Boat Name: Araminta

Post by Bert Blik » Mon Nov 28, 2022 10:24 am

Hi Jeroen. Have you tried to contact :The Rivet Supply Company in Ashby de la Zouche( Postcode LE 65 2 UY). Looks like these chaps have tons of rivets in stock Should they have the right rivets in stock ,I could pay them a visit next week as I'm almost going past them .I could bring these back for you. That would save you import duties and you could get straight on with the job.
I will be going across to Blighty coming Friday and going past them on Monday morning.

Just contact me on my mobile phone number if you want to take me up on my offer.
Groetjes
Bert Kleinbussink