Steamboat Video

For the non-technical side of living with Steamboats, videos and general pictures.
Frank57
Just Starting Out
Just Starting Out
Boat Name: No Boat Yet

Steamboat Video

Post by Frank57 » Fri Sep 21, 2012 9:13 pm

Hi

Does anyone know of a small steamboat/steam launch video showing how you fire up/start a steamboat and exactly what everything does!

I have spent hours trawling Youtube and have found lots of interesting videos but none of them that I have found discuss the whole process and exactly what each part of the system does at least not in anywhere near enough detail.

What do all the guages show, what do all the valves do, some things I can work out of course but much of the steam system is a complete mystery to me!

A short video would be great a series of videos showing what everything does (all mechanisims) on a steamboat would be fantastic :)

Many thanks

Frank Lennon
Lopez Mike
Full Steam Ahead
Full Steam Ahead
Boat Name: S.L. Spiffy

Re: Steamboat Video

Post by Lopez Mike » Fri Sep 21, 2012 9:27 pm

Good instructional videos are hard to make. As much as anything because I've yet to see two boats plumbed alike.

On my boat it's pretty much a case of lube engine, build fire and take off. Some of my friends have a much longer list.

Mike
If you think you are too small to make a difference, try sleeping with a mosquito.
Dalai Lama
Frank57
Just Starting Out
Just Starting Out

Post by Frank57 » Fri Sep 21, 2012 10:00 pm

That is true but even one instructional video of any small steamboat would be very useful to someone just starting out like myself!

Many thanks

Frank
farmerden
Stirring the Pot
Stirring the Pot
Boat Name: Steam Queen

Post by farmerden » Mon Sep 24, 2012 2:30 am

Any steamboats near you? Watching one steam up would do the trick.It takes me 30-45 min to get steam up and although I taken alot of pics I've never filmed steam-up [it's kinda like watching paint dry!] Water level in boiler about half way ,light fire,lift safety when pressure's up[just to check it works] but NWSS produces a small booklet that is invaluable for the novice and the experienced steamer-Get one! Den
Edward
Full Steam Ahead
Full Steam Ahead

Post by Edward » Mon Sep 24, 2012 9:10 pm

Dear Frank ,
First of all a belated welcome to the forum .
Secondly I absolutely agree with Farmerden , by far the best way of learning is to see a steamboat in the flesh . There are quite a few SBA members with boats within reasonably easy striking distance of Swindon and my strong recommendation would be to join the SBA (if you aren't already a member) and contact some of them . I'm sure they will be very willing to help you , though at this time of the year and with our recent weather I don't suppose very many are planning to do much steamboating .
There is a meeting of South Western members at Tavistock on 6th October which could be a good starting point for you at least to meet some boat owners . I'm sure you would be most welcome .

Regards Edward
Frank57
Just Starting Out
Just Starting Out

Post by Frank57 » Tue Sep 25, 2012 9:52 pm

Thanks Farmeden. I have now downloaded the booklet and will visit my nearest steamboats but will most likely have to wait until the summer now.

Regards

Frank
Frank57
Just Starting Out
Just Starting Out

Post by Frank57 » Tue Sep 25, 2012 9:57 pm

Thanks Edward,

I will try my best to visit Tavistock though, it may be best for me to visit the Steam Launches at Beale Park next summer.

Regards

Frank
Maltelec
Master of the Forum
Master of the Forum

Post by Maltelec » Fri Oct 19, 2012 10:28 pm

I have done two videos of how to (and not to) do things on a steam boat. The 2nd video is perhaps more use than the first:

I will be doing more later when I get chance.
I've got the vehicle, just need the boat.
mcasey
Just Starting Out
Just Starting Out
Boat Name: sport

Post by mcasey » Tue Dec 18, 2012 3:35 am

I agree with farmeden as well. The best way of learning is see the steam boat in flesh. I guess that could be the best learning manual.
Full Steam Ahead
Boat Name: SL Phoebe Snow

Post by steamdon-jr » Tue Dec 18, 2012 3:09 pm

I have 2 possible things of interest for you, one is steamboating 101 text which you can print and read for free and then Beckman Boat Shop Limited has a video called steamboating 101 "operation" you can find both at Beckmans page. Although nothing like coming to a meet on first day when you can see them fire up, oil, grease and launch their boat. one thing to remember though is that every boat is different so some things may change in startup procedures.

Book, http://www.steamboating.net/page11.html
Videohttp://www.steamboating.net/page56.html