The Minnehaha (In Storage)

For quality photos of Steamboats
csonics
Anne from Little Britan
Anne from Little Britan
Boat Name: No Boat Yet

The Minnehaha (In Storage)

Post by csonics » Tue Jan 19, 2010 1:53 am

So I was finally able to get out to the Minnehaha's barn got the official tour and met a lot of great guys who volunteer their time to keep her up and running. One the interesting facts mentioned was that they refurbish about 1/3rd of her every winter.

The Bow

The Original Screw, 40in dia.

Stern
Notice the plastic from the waterline down. I was told that was a way to keep the wood reasonably humid so it doesn't shrink too much during the winter months.

The Wheel
The original wheel that was pulled up with the hull. I was told that it pretty much looked the way it does now without any need for refinishing when it was pulled up.

Port Light

Original Spotlight

The Stack
Retractible so she can clear low bridges.

The Head
Not originally in the boat. Was added later.

HP Piston Valve

Cleaver Brooks Boiler
Nothing special about this guy. Just a standard off the shelf deal. Completely automated.

The Triple

LP Piston

The Engine 2

Boiler
The gentleman who found the Minnehaha hull also found some other interesting things on the bottom. One of them being this (scotch marine?) boiler. The crew isn't sure what it's from or what type it is exactly. If anybody has any ideas your insight would be much appreciated.

Compound
Yet another find from the bottom. Anybody have any ideas on make or how old it is?

Last edited by csonics on Tue Jan 19, 2010 5:55 pm, edited 2 times in total.
steamboatjack
Full Steam Ahead
Full Steam Ahead
Boat Name: grayling

Re: The Minnehaha (In Storage)

Post by steamboatjack » Tue Jan 19, 2010 5:20 pm

The boiler is certainly NOT a scotch, it looks like a loco type.
regards Jack
Edward
Full Steam Ahead
Full Steam Ahead

Post by Edward » Tue Jan 19, 2010 5:31 pm

Definitely a loco , and end fired which is slightly unusual for a marine loco boiler . Of couse it doesn't have to be from a boat as until recently most people probably thought it acceptable to get rid of junk in the nearest lake , river or canal .

It certainly looks as if you're starting to make contacts with other local steam enthusiasts .

Edward
csonics
Anne from Little Britan
Anne from Little Britan

Post by csonics » Tue Jan 19, 2010 5:40 pm

Edward wrote:Definitely a loco , and end fired which is slightly unusual for a marine loco boiler . Of couse it doesn't have to be from a boat as until recently most people probably thought it acceptable to get rid of junk in the nearest lake , river or canal .
The gentleman that showed me the boiler said they were "pretty sure" it was for marine use but he was by no means an expert. I was surprised how plain and rudimentary the compound looked. Anybody recognize it's design?

-Mike
87gn@tahoe

Post by 87gn@tahoe » Tue Jan 19, 2010 6:40 pm

The compound looks like someone's one-off shop project.. A lot of the smaller foundrys and machine shops used to do one-off stuff like that "way back when".
Maltelec
Master of the Forum
Master of the Forum

Post by Maltelec » Tue Jan 19, 2010 9:55 pm

The build quality of the compound looks more like a model than a "real" engine, I would think it is a one-off as well. If workshop staff had any spare time they would churn out something like this, whether they knew about steam engines or not.

On the boiler, what makes a boiler a marine type? I would imagine most boilers are water tight :lol:
I've got the vehicle, just need the boat.
dampfspieler
Full Steam Ahead
Full Steam Ahead

Post by dampfspieler » Wed Jan 20, 2010 6:04 am

Hi Mike,

the shown boiler is a "marine loco type". I think it was built in the middle of the 1890s.
Here a picture from an SIMPSON & STRICKLAND Catalogue from the beginning of 20th century.
P028auszkl.jpeg
A marine loco boiler from SIMPSON, STRICKLAND & Cie Ltd.
P028auszkl.jpeg (170.02 KiB) Viewed 12677 times
The place of the fire door depends from the possibilities at the vessel.
The original of the FALK loco built from MARSCHUTZ & CANTREL was built in the same way.

Dietrich
csonics
Anne from Little Britan
Anne from Little Britan

Post by csonics » Wed Jan 20, 2010 3:47 pm

Dietrich, once again, you are the man! Thanks so much!
steamboatjack
Full Steam Ahead
Full Steam Ahead
Boat Name: grayling

Post by steamboatjack » Thu Jan 21, 2010 6:58 pm

ref the boiler, I would say it probably was for a boat due to the very short length, its interesting note the modern fittings, cannot be too old? also the unusual "saddle" over the firebox crown area. As for the engine ... I would throw it back.
regards jack
gondolier88
Full Steam Ahead
Full Steam Ahead

Post by gondolier88 » Fri Dec 03, 2010 10:25 pm

The boiler is of utmost interest; it is of exactly the same pattern as the boilers in most the Windermere collection at the Steamboat Museum, going as far as to say the water gauge spacing and positions, the boiler mounted integral isolating/check valves, the washout plugs, the steam take off and the dome position are all exactly identical. The end firing is unusual, but not unique, both SL Otto and umpire launch Consuta use end fired boilers.

Greg
Don't get heated...get steamed up

http://www.simpsonboatbuilding.co.uk