Searching For A Boat

For technical tips, questions etc. on all subjects except Engines and Boilers.
Kiwi Noel
Lighting the Boiler
Lighting the Boiler

Searching For A Boat

Post by Kiwi Noel » Tue Jun 04, 2013 2:21 am

As someone new to steam and steam-boating I have to always be in the learning mode. Vanya just lent me his copy of Steam boating and Modern Steam Launches [this book is on my wish list] and I am intrigued by Bill Durhams article on Water Music a modest proposal, I like the design, this has led me to ask if plans were ever drawn up and if the boat was built? The last paragraph of the article says it all, and I quote the author, so there you have it-a modest proposal for everymans steam vessel-long, slim, simple, silent, enjoyable. My dream to heres hoping.
Noel
Last edited by Kiwi Noel on Mon Jun 17, 2013 8:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
artemis
Full Steam Ahead
Full Steam Ahead
Boat Name: Pond Skimmer

Re: Searching For A Boat

Post by artemis » Fri Jun 07, 2013 9:37 pm

Mr. Durham is still alive and well, living where he did when the magazine was printed.
Ron Fossum
Steamboating Magazine Editor
http://www.steamboating.org
Kiwi Noel
Lighting the Boiler
Lighting the Boiler

Post by Kiwi Noel » Mon Jun 17, 2013 8:11 am

Hi Ron,
Thanks for that I will borrow the book again and maybe make some more inquiries.
Noel
steamdon-jr
Full Steam Ahead
Full Steam Ahead
Boat Name: SL Phoebe Snow

Post by steamdon-jr » Wed Jun 19, 2013 12:08 am

Noel,

you can still purchase steamboats and modern steam launches from Elliot Bay Boatworks, they are reprinting the book, also I recommend purchasing the book "Reed's trawlers, yachts and launches" . The books can be found at http://www.steamlaunch.com/books/index.html
Johnlanark
Full Steam Ahead
Full Steam Ahead
Boat Name: No Boat Yet

Post by Johnlanark » Wed Jun 19, 2013 7:33 am

From memory, that design formed the basis of the Rose class hull, still sold by Beckman Boats.
http://www.steamboating.net/page44.html
John
artemis
Full Steam Ahead
Full Steam Ahead
Boat Name: Pond Skimmer

Post by artemis » Mon Jun 24, 2013 8:56 pm

Johnlanark wrote:From memory, that design formed the basis of the Rose class hull, still sold by Beckman Boats.
http://www.steamboating.net/page44.html
John
I believe that Noel has seen the lastest edition of Steamboats &c. and his comments are on a design posted there (as well as a lengthly dissertation by Mr. Durtham on what today makes a good design for a hobby steamboat). This design is totally new with the most recent edition.
Ron Fossum
Steamboating Magazine Editor
http://www.steamboating.org
Kiwi Noel
Lighting the Boiler
Lighting the Boiler

Post by Kiwi Noel » Thu Jun 27, 2013 11:52 pm

I haven't seen the Steamboat & Co so I am still a little in the dark as to what you are saying, I have re borrowed Steamboats and modern steam launches and found this address 3722 Bagley Avenue Seattle 3, Washington. Would I be able to make contact with Mr Bill Durham at this address? I think I would need a post code number or something else these days.
Thanks for the help this forum has been a real encourager to stay off ones backside and keep on making things.
Noel.
Lopez Mike
Full Steam Ahead
Full Steam Ahead
Boat Name: S.L. Spiffy

Post by Lopez Mike » Fri Jun 28, 2013 4:58 am

The Zip code for that address is 98103-9135.

No listed phone number for him.

Mike
If you think you are too small to make a difference, try sleeping with a mosquito.
Dalai Lama
Kiwi Noel
Lighting the Boiler
Lighting the Boiler

Post by Kiwi Noel » Tue Jul 09, 2013 12:02 am

Thanks for all the help on this search for a boat post. I have decided not to proceed with the building a boat, lack of building and afterwards storage space being the main reason. When I finish the boiler and with the Ray Hasbrouck No 5 I will have a nice plant to play around with and after looking at Barts post designing a new engine for a bigger boat I will have a go at building a Uniflow engine I like the one in the photo Albert posted on there that would be a challenge, after years working on Detroit Diesels I know where to get the cylinder liners.
Thanks Again
Noel