What kind of First Aid Kit do have on your launch?

For technical tips, questions etc. on all subjects except Engines and Boilers.
Mike Rometer
Full Steam Ahead
Full Steam Ahead
Boat Name: B.N.Y.S.

Re: What kind of First Aid Kit do have on your launch?

Post by Mike Rometer » Wed Nov 05, 2014 8:40 am

One thought would be to pack the medicines in a removable section, as these are things with a shorter shelf life and could double for use in the home or w/shop.

As you suggest, somewhat overkill. Most trained First-aiders wouldn't know how to use a lot of that stuff.
Retirement is about doing what floats your boat!

A BODGE : - A Bit Of Damn Good Engineering.
cyberbadger
Full Steam Ahead
Full Steam Ahead
Boat Name: SL Nyitra

Post by cyberbadger » Thu Nov 06, 2014 1:21 am

Mike Rometer wrote:Most trained First-aiders wouldn't know how to use a lot of that stuff.
Who were they trained by?? I've only had Boy Scout First Aid Training and 75% + of the kit should not be unfamiliar to someone who has had formal First Aid training. 90%+ if they take a minute to read the instructions on the stuff they don't know.

I'll give you suturing, Geiger counter, and superglue. But all of the other stuff is pretty standard first aid stuff or has clear instructions on it.

The SAM Splints, SWAT-T, and Israeli Battle dressings are "Newer Tech" - but they were designed by Military Medics who were fed up with how poor or even useless some military issued stuff was.

-CB
Mike Rometer
Full Steam Ahead
Full Steam Ahead
Boat Name: B.N.Y.S.

Post by Mike Rometer » Thu Nov 06, 2014 9:56 am

cyberbadger wrote:
Mike Rometer wrote:Most trained First-aiders wouldn't know how to use a lot of that stuff.
Who were they trained by?? I've only had Boy Scout First Aid Training and 75% + of the kit should not be unfamiliar to someone who has had formal First Aid training. 90%+ if they take a minute to read the instructions on the stuff they don't know.

I'll give you suturing, Geiger counter, and superglue. But all of the other stuff is pretty standard first aid stuff or has clear instructions on it.

The SAM Splints, SWAT-T, and Israeli Battle dressings are "Newer Tech" - but they were designed by Military Medics who were fed up with how poor or even useless some military issued stuff was.

-CB
I too was Scout trained and when I did another course later on in working life a lot of what I knew was not taught. Heath and safety being the excuse.
Retirement is about doing what floats your boat!

A BODGE : - A Bit Of Damn Good Engineering.
cyberbadger
Full Steam Ahead
Full Steam Ahead

Post by cyberbadger » Fri Nov 07, 2014 1:19 am

Mike Rometer wrote: I too was Scout trained and when I did another course later on in working life a lot of what I knew was not taught. Heath and safety being the excuse.
That stinks, but I guess I'm not too surprised either. It's seems silly to teach first aid and not teach how to deal with medium-major trauma with healthy and safety being the excuse.

In any case, whether you buy a kit or build your own these are my thoughts:
1) You should base the kit on how far away(time) from professional help you might be in a bad case scenario.
2) You should think about burn trauma beforehand in a steam launch - doesn't necessarily have to be anything in a kit - If you have a bucket on board, you could fill it with the water you are floating on and put an arm or leg in the bucket. Or if you have a cooler on board for food/drinks - use that ice! Remove the clothing/shoes/gloves/lifejacket immediately from the affected area (It will trap in the heat). If it's a full body or torso burn - consider throwing the individual overboard - I'm not kidding!
3) Have some basic kit of some sort
4) Consider taking some first aid training formal or informal. If you don't remember if you or anyone on board has a phone/smart phone/marine radio you can call for help or look up some first aid stuff on a smart phone.
5) If it's at all serious, don't hesitate to use your marine emergency distress equipment. That's what it's there for.

-CB
mtnman
Full Steam Ahead
Full Steam Ahead
Boat Name: SL Mary Jane

Post by mtnman » Fri Nov 07, 2014 2:19 pm

A bucket of Kerosene and a dirty rag. Works for burns and cuts alike. Stops bleeding and cools burns. Dunk the affected body part in the Kerosene and wrap it with the rag, that'll hold ya till ya get home.
Oilking
Full Steam Ahead
Full Steam Ahead
Boat Name: No Boat Yet

Post by Oilking » Fri Nov 07, 2014 6:30 pm

I recall a passage from "Charles Evans On Climbing" where he deals eith loading your pack. He suggests that you should spread out on a tarp everything you will use on your outing. Load it all in the pack and take it on an hour or two walk over a boulder patch, then come back and throw out what isn't esential.

Industrial first aid is being taught today based on the fact that the accidednt has happend where people are around and more advanced help can be quickly summoned. The three main points after making sure that help has been called for, are stop the bleeding, keep the blood moving, and provide oxygen to the blood. There is little need to know how to tie someone up like a mummy and could cause more dammage than good.

While fishing in Alaska near the end of the season my Dad ran his ring finger through the generator belt! It was left hanging by the tendons. I wrapped in sterile gauze, closed the hand over a wad of paper towel and wrapped more gauze and toweling around it. A sling was made from a clean dish towel to hold the hand at heat level. A plain was called and Dad was at the doctor in abour four hours after the event. It ended up with a stiff joint, but he kept the finger.

For what it's worth

Dave
cyberbadger
Full Steam Ahead
Full Steam Ahead

Post by cyberbadger » Sat Nov 08, 2014 5:55 am

mtnman wrote:A bucket of Kerosene and a dirty rag. Works for burns and cuts alike. Stops bleeding and cools burns. Dunk the affected body part in the Kerosene and wrap it with the rag, that'll hold ya till ya get home.
If you have kerosene aboard that's a good remedy.
Oilking wrote:I recall a passage from "Charles Evans On Climbing" where he deals eith loading your pack. He suggests that you should spread out on a tarp everything you will use on your outing. Load it all in the pack and take it on an hour or two walk over a boulder patch, then come back and throw out what isn't esential.
I've been there myself hiking in Alaska, Juneau with a pack filled with too much. Luckily we are talking about steamboats and first aid. No need to hike, let the steamboat do the work. :) It's an important point though, weight and bulk are very important for any boater.
Oilking wrote:While fishing in Alaska near the end of the season my Dad ran his ring finger through the generator belt! It was left hanging by the tendons. I wrapped in sterile gauze, closed the hand over a wad of paper towel and wrapped more gauze and toweling around it. A sling was made from a clean dish towel to hold the hand at heat level. A plain was called and Dad was at the doctor in abour four hours after the event. It ended up with a stiff joint, but he kept the finger.
I like and can appreciate that kind of ad-hoc first aid. Glad your Dad kept the finger! --- What sort of first aid kit was in the boat?

-CB
Mike Cole
Full Steam Ahead
Full Steam Ahead
Boat Name: Blue Buccaneer

Post by Mike Cole » Sat Nov 08, 2014 10:13 am

Oilking wrote:
Industrial first aid is being taught today based on the fact that the accidednt has happend where people are around and more advanced help can be quickly summoned. The three main points after making sure that help has been called for, are stop the bleeding, keep the blood moving, and provide oxygen to the blood. There is little need to know how to tie someone up like a mummy and could cause more dammage than good.
Dave
Yes i was a first aider over 16 years with the Royal Mail, the first and last course were as different as chalk and cheese. We ended up just looking for signs of life and keeping someone alive until the ambulance arrived.
Mike Cole
cyberbadger
Full Steam Ahead
Full Steam Ahead

Post by cyberbadger » Fri Nov 14, 2014 7:39 am

Mike Cole wrote:i was a first aider over 16 years with the Royal Mail, the first and last course were as different as chalk and cheese. We ended up just looking for signs of life and keeping someone alive until the ambulance arrived.
That is disappointing Mike but I can understand it - how are the younger folks going to get decent actual first aid training first hand!

Side note - I get surprised sometimes by the UK English idioms/similes/expressions like "chalk and cheese" - it's refreshing linguistically. We both speak English, but we use the same language in different ways.

-CB