Steering unit for a fantail launch

For technical tips, questions etc. on all subjects except Engines and Boilers.
wsmcycle
Full Steam Ahead
Full Steam Ahead
Boat Name: FEARLESS,l'il steamy

Steering unit for a fantail launch

Post by wsmcycle » Mon Apr 27, 2015 9:03 pm

I will not be able to operate this big launch "Fearless" solo because of the tiller/rudder size. I could easily run my smaller 18' boat alone. The rudder was much smaller. It took less force and I could move it from my operating position. I had a rope wrapped around it to make enough drag to hold it in place.
I think I need to put a steering wheel on "Fearless". However, Being a fantail the rudder tube runs all the way up through the deck where there is a thrust bushing to support its considerable weight. I do not want to put the steering cable above the deck. I think it would not look good. Is there a typical mechanism? Any pix? I don't want to reinvent the wheel. I want your wheel.

Please.
Wendell
LIGHT THE FIRE!!
steamdon-jr
Full Steam Ahead
Full Steam Ahead
Boat Name: SL Phoebe Snow

Re: Steering unit for a fantail launch

Post by steamdon-jr » Tue Apr 28, 2015 12:46 am

If you have any room whatsoever under the decks I would put a tiller arm and go hydraulic, it is the best thing since sliced bread as someone else told me and they were correct.
Lopez Mike
Full Steam Ahead
Full Steam Ahead
Boat Name: S.L. Spiffy

Post by Lopez Mike » Tue Apr 28, 2015 2:39 am

Hydraulic has a lot going for it including the fact that you can pretty much buy a ready to go system. Spendy though.

If you want to build your own, a chain and cable setup is relatively easy to engineer and the bits can usually be found at an industrial supply house. It has the advantage that you can fix it yourself.

In case you haven't seen one, there are two ordinary sprockets, one on the rudder shaft and one on the shaft that the wheel turns on. Typically the rudder shaft sprocket has four times as many teeth as the other one. There is a short length of chain around each sprocket and a pair of cables running around strategic pulleys to connect from one chain to the other.

These systems tend to be fairly low friction so you need to have some sort of friction drag on the wheel shaft to avoid having to be always hanging on to the wheel. There will be a couple of turnbuckles in each cable run to center the wheel and tension the cables. Safety wire the turnbuckles. Don't ask me why I know to do this! Just keep in mind that they will seldom come loose in a flat calm.
If you think you are too small to make a difference, try sleeping with a mosquito.
Dalai Lama
wsmcycle
Full Steam Ahead
Full Steam Ahead

Post by wsmcycle » Tue Apr 28, 2015 11:15 am

I can see the cable, chain and sprocket system now. Thanks Mike. I wonder if a stout spring along the cable some where might work to keep the cables tight.
How would you describe the hydraulic system in order to find it on the Internet?
Do many folks use those push pull cable systems.?
LIGHT THE FIRE!!
DetroiTug
Full Steam Ahead
Full Steam Ahead
Boat Name: Iron Chief

Post by DetroiTug » Tue Apr 28, 2015 1:22 pm

"Do many folks use those push pull cable systems.?"

I use one of the Teleflex systems on the tug and it has served flawlessly. Inexpensive too.

-Ron
Lopez Mike
Full Steam Ahead
Full Steam Ahead

Post by Lopez Mike » Tue Apr 28, 2015 1:28 pm

Unless your boat is flexing a lot more than it should (!) the turnbuckle is usually a better solution. It's not that you want it really tight as that tends to make for extra friction in the system.

Here is a typical package hydraulic system It doesn't include a wheel or a pitman arm to connect it to your rudder shaft.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/SeaStar-Telefle ... 1477058806

The push-pull systems are in use in about a zillion power boats. You might find one in a salvaged boat. The problem I ran into was getting a cable short enough for my launch. There is no way to shorten one. Believe me, I've tried. And the wheel that comes with them will not be anything you want to look at in your boat. And you still will, as with the hydraulic system, need a pitman arm.
If you think you are too small to make a difference, try sleeping with a mosquito.
Dalai Lama
DetroiTug
Full Steam Ahead
Full Steam Ahead
Boat Name: Iron Chief

Post by DetroiTug » Tue Apr 28, 2015 1:59 pm

"The problem I ran into was getting a cable short enough for my launch."

When I first ordered mine, they sent a cable that was too short. It was some marine wholesale dealer, a quick call to them and a little more money got it swapped out with the correct longer one. They have them any length, six feet to fifty-six feet.

-Ron
wsmcycle
Full Steam Ahead
Full Steam Ahead

Post by wsmcycle » Tue Apr 28, 2015 3:38 pm

WOW! the tug is wonderful. I see two cables coming out of your gear box. What is the second one for? The push/pull system is just one cable isn't it?

Wendell
LIGHT THE FIRE!!
Lopez Mike
Full Steam Ahead
Full Steam Ahead

Post by Lopez Mike » Tue Apr 28, 2015 4:27 pm

I'm such a tightwad that I never thought of buying a new one. The ones I looked at had a single push pull cable rather than two like on the tug. I like that solution of using roller chain to get from the wheel down to the mechanism.
Dalai Lama
dhic001
Full Steam Ahead
Full Steam Ahead
Boat Name: S.S. Zeltic

Post by dhic001 » Wed Apr 29, 2015 8:37 am

I don't see any reason to not put steering cable on deck, if that is the simplest way of doing the job. Having rope steering to a tiller on deck is a very traditional way of doing it, and whats more its easy to maintain. Rather than try to hide it, look at old launches and their steering arrangements, make some patterns up and cast some stylish bronze parts. If you use spectra for the rope, you'll have none of the stretch issues of the old systems, and it'll still look right. Cheaper than hydraulic, and easy to maintain.
Daniel
wsmcycle wrote: I do not want to put the steering cable above the deck. I think it would not look good.