Towing weight - Frolic 18

For technical tips, questions etc. on all subjects except Engines and Boilers.
JJF
Just Starting Out
Just Starting Out
Boat Name: No Boat Yet

Towing weight - Frolic 18

Post by JJF » Fri Aug 14, 2015 12:27 pm

Hi,

I'm interested in the typical weight of a Frolic 18 steam launch when on its trailer (trying to work out what sort of trailer and towcar to use!).

Creative Marine reckon about half a ton or so - has anyone ever weighed their boat to find out for sure?

Thanks,

James
Maltelec
Master of the Forum
Master of the Forum
Boat Name: No Boat Yet

Re: Towing weight - Frolic 18

Post by Maltelec » Mon Oct 05, 2015 8:40 pm

Hi James

Our boat Grayling is 19' long and we have a good estimate that it is 1.3 Tonnes with trailer and a few extra items.

A Frolic is lighter in build but I would guess at 1 tonne for boat and trailer, with some extra items which you always take with you. Half a tonne seems a little on the small side.
I've got the vehicle, just need the boat.
PeteThePen1
Full Steam Ahead
Full Steam Ahead

Re: Towing weight - Frolic 18

Post by PeteThePen1 » Tue Nov 24, 2015 8:36 pm

Hi James

Just spotted you post rather late. I have been looking for a new trailer for Frances Ann and that has been an interesting experience. FA is a 20ft Rose hull with a design displacement of 1200lbs. For most of the quotes I have had in, it seem as if the salesmen have run down their catalogue until they find 20ft, and then read off the model. Usually this will be for a boat of 2-3 times the weight.

I have tried looking at sales literature and going the other way around. Look at the weight, then see what model that produces. Most are deemed too short, but it strikes me that an enterprising boat trailer builder could cope with that by making it longer.

I would be interested to hear your experience with your trailer search!

Regards

Pete