steam gauge glass

For technical tips, questions etc. on all subjects except Engines and Boilers.
lighthousekeeper
Lighting the Boiler
Lighting the Boiler
Boat Name: Jenny Girl

steam gauge glass

Post by lighthousekeeper » Sun Feb 07, 2016 1:44 pm

Hi I recently picked up a steam gauge, I'm taking a chance on it not sure if it will even work, it is missing the glass, does anyone know what type of glass I should replace it with? thanks!
cyberbadger
Full Steam Ahead
Full Steam Ahead
Boat Name: SL Nyitra

Re: steam gauge glass

Post by cyberbadger » Sun Feb 07, 2016 2:20 pm

lighthousekeeper,

Borosilicate glass (pyrex) - a redline can make it easier to see the water level.

I like GreatGlas - they ship to Canada.
http://www.greatglas.com/

http://www.greatglas.com/SightGlassRedline.htm

-CB
barts
Full Steam Ahead
Full Steam Ahead
Boat Name: Otter, Rainbow

Post by barts » Sun Feb 07, 2016 5:59 pm

Did you mean a gauge glass (shows boiler water level) or pressure gauge (shows steam pressure)?

If the former, go for the red-line glass. If the latter, I'd probably use scratch resistant polycarbonate (Lexan) since you can cut it easily enough and if the Bourdon tube inside lets go, the glass won't scatter all over.

- Bart
-------
Bart Smaalders http://smaalders.net/barts Lopez Island, WA
lighthousekeeper
Lighting the Boiler
Lighting the Boiler
Boat Name: Jenny Girl

Post by lighthousekeeper » Sun Feb 07, 2016 6:10 pm

I meant pressure gauge, but the info on the sight glass is great, I should order a back up for my sight glass just in case, thanks
Mike Rometer
Full Steam Ahead
Full Steam Ahead
Boat Name: B.N.Y.S.

Post by Mike Rometer » Sun Feb 07, 2016 7:13 pm

Usually just straight mineral glass as far as I know. Thin, probably around 2mm.
Retirement is about doing what floats your boat!

A BODGE : - A Bit Of Damn Good Engineering.
DetroiTug
Full Steam Ahead
Full Steam Ahead
Boat Name: Iron Chief

Post by DetroiTug » Mon Feb 08, 2016 12:44 am

Look up "Carter's clock glass". His son now operates it and he can cut all size diameters, thicknesses with bevels if desired. Just send him the bezel and he can install the new crystal.

Update
I did a quick search on them for the heck of it after I posted, seems they have some pretty unfavorable on line reviews now. So try them at your own risk. I used them a few times a couple of years ago and it went okay.

-Ron
Mike Rometer
Full Steam Ahead
Full Steam Ahead
Boat Name: B.N.Y.S.

Post by Mike Rometer » Mon Feb 08, 2016 7:46 am

2mm glass is sometimes referred to as "picture glass", any glazier will be able to cut it to a paper or card template.
Retirement is about doing what floats your boat!

A BODGE : - A Bit Of Damn Good Engineering.
Oilking
Full Steam Ahead
Full Steam Ahead
Boat Name: No Boat Yet

Post by Oilking » Mon Feb 08, 2016 6:20 pm

Lighthousekeeper,

As for the cover glass you can use plexy glass and saw it out on a band saw leaving the protective film on so it doesn't get scratched in the process. All the gauge covers I encountered in the Navy were plastic of some sort mainly for the fact that if the Bourdon tube failed a chunk of plastic popped off instead of shards of flying glass. Many newer gauges are made to vent out the back in such an event but the on older ones with a solid case everything is going to be coming out the front.

I hope that when you said that you are " taking a chance on it, not sure it will even work" means that you will have it tested against a reliable standard before you use it. I had a couple of gauges tested and tagged with dated calibration stickers at certified shop for $30 each. Well worth the cost to be sure.

Seam On Steam Often

Dave
cyberbadger
Full Steam Ahead
Full Steam Ahead
Boat Name: SL Nyitra

Post by cyberbadger » Mon Feb 08, 2016 7:43 pm

Oilking wrote:I hope that when you said that you are " taking a chance on it, not sure it will even work" means that you will have it tested against a reliable standard before you use it. I had a couple of gauges tested and tagged with dated calibration stickers at certified shop for $30 each. Well worth the cost to be sure.
I like to run with a new modern gauge and an antique gauge. Let's me check while I'm operating that a gauge isn't lying.

-CB
steamdon-jr
Full Steam Ahead
Full Steam Ahead
Boat Name: SL Phoebe Snow

Post by steamdon-jr » Tue Feb 09, 2016 2:01 am

Mike R is correct, 2mm glass is normal and almost any glazier can cut it, I know this because I am a glazier by trade and many cannot cut glass anymore, but any glass shop can do it. nowadays the glass is mostly heat strengthened or tempered in construction so glaziers do not cut alot of glass...I have often thought I could make some money by advertising in the steamboat mags and cutting pressure gauge glass and water tube glass as I also have glass tubing cutters.