Favorite Cleaners for Marine, Maching, Steam Launch use

For technical tips, questions etc. on all subjects except Engines and Boilers.
cyberbadger
Full Steam Ahead
Full Steam Ahead
Boat Name: SL Nyitra

Favorite Cleaners for Marine, Maching, Steam Launch use

Post by cyberbadger » Sun Aug 14, 2016 5:30 am

What's a favorite cleaner, or favorite cleaner for a specific job that really has worked well for you or your launch?

I post this cleaner photo: as a conversation starter.

I was using it tonight to clean what I hope will be my propeller strut for Nyitra - getting rid of grime and marine grease.
It has been working ok. Has a nice lifting foam. I have several small radioactive sources that are legal and NRC(Nuclear Regulatory Commision)-exempt quantities - legal to posses in the USA. I never have needed this cleaner, I only got it to clean up uranium ore dust, and my uranium ore sample I haven't taken out of it's sample bag to avoid the issue entirely. If I leave this cleaner I'll just have to throw it out soon as the can is starting to corrode. Might as well use it.

-CB
asal0312
Steam on Deck
Steam on Deck
Boat Name: Hope

Re: Favorite Cleaners for Marine, Maching, Steam Launch use

Post by asal0312 » Mon Aug 15, 2016 7:49 pm

My favorites:

For dirt/oil: Simple green. Straight concentrate or mix with warm water. Safe on brass and varnish as well as one part polyurthane paints.

For brass and bronze polish as well as a fiberglass/gel coat cleaner: Prism Polish.

As a bottom cleaner for marine growth: On-Off . Basically 20% HCl. Never used it on my boat, but we used to use it at the boatyard and it really cleans gel coat bottoms. Pretty nasty stuff.

If one one these don't work, sand paper and a buffing pad.

Alex
Houses are but badly built boats so firmly aground you cannot think of moving them.