Hand and driven pumps for boiler feed - WANTED UK

For technical tips, questions etc. on all subjects except Engines and Boilers.
ianrichards
Full Steam Ahead
Full Steam Ahead
Boat Name: Isambard

Hand and driven pumps for boiler feed - WANTED UK

Post by ianrichards » Sun Dec 03, 2017 7:48 am

Yesterday saw the completion of the Lune Valley boliler fabrication (a very significant moment), https://flic.kr/p/DYYTof
so I’m now on the lookout for suitable pumps for the boiler feed.
Hand and driven pumps, what should I be looking for and where would I source them?
I’m not in any rush though, a I’ve to start building the boat !
TIA
Ian
Last edited by ianrichards on Sun Dec 03, 2017 9:37 am, edited 3 times in total.
Mike Cole
Full Steam Ahead
Full Steam Ahead
Boat Name: Blue Buccaneer

Re: Hand and driven pumps for boiler feed - WANTED UK

Post by Mike Cole » Sun Dec 03, 2017 9:14 am

Hi Ian
There are normally second hand pumps for sale at the SBA AGM , Have a word with Richard Havard (a fellow SBA member) . He has lots of stuff for steam boat builders. or contact Iain Miles your area rep. Both are fairly local to you. Have you looked at the sales/supplies page on the SBA website, there is a engine driven pump for sale there, I do not know if it will be suitable.
This seems to have turned in a plug for the SBA, but really for UK steamboaters take advantage of it.
Boiler is looking good, for the hand pump as a min size you should look at 25 mm dia x 50 stoke, and preferabley 50 to 100% bigger
Mike Cole
Lopez Mike
Full Steam Ahead
Full Steam Ahead
Boat Name: S.L. Spiffy

Post by Lopez Mike » Mon Dec 04, 2017 3:55 am

I don't know if they are available in your area but I have had very good service from a Hypro pump. Quiet and trouble free.

A solution to the problem of finding a hand pump for many of my friends has been to find a stern packing gland and block off one end. Add a short length of shafting and a couple of check valves and there you are. No o-rings to fail and easy to fuss with if needed.
If you think you are too small to make a difference, try sleeping with a mosquito.
Dalai Lama
ianrichards
Full Steam Ahead
Full Steam Ahead
Boat Name: Isambard

Post by ianrichards » Mon Dec 04, 2017 5:25 am

Mmm? Thanks for that.
Could you send me a link to their website and the type you are using.
If I do a google search here in the UK all I seem to get are dubious male anatomy extenders !!!
Thanks
Ian

Lopez Mike wrote:I don't know if they are available in your area but I have had very good service from a Hypro pump. Quiet and trouble free.

A solution to the problem of finding a hand pump for many of my friends has been to find a stern packing gland and block off one end. Add a short length of shafting and a couple of check valves and there you are. No o-rings to fail and easy to fuss with if needed.
Lopez Mike
Full Steam Ahead
Full Steam Ahead
Boat Name: S.L. Spiffy

Post by Lopez Mike » Mon Dec 04, 2017 6:37 am

Here's a link to a european distributor.
http://www.hypro-eu.com/fileattachments ... _pumps.pdf
I'm using a 5321 small twin on my 3" x 4" single running one to one off of the crank and it keeps ahead of the consumption easily at 100-130 psi.
These are in use in a variety of applications such as agricultural spraying and self service car washes. I've seen them run for years at electric motor speeds. At under 500 rpm I suspect that you will never need to replace one.
If you think you are too small to make a difference, try sleeping with a mosquito.
Dalai Lama
cyberbadger
Full Steam Ahead
Full Steam Ahead
Boat Name: SL Nyitra

Post by cyberbadger » Mon Dec 04, 2017 6:56 am

I like my Reed hand pump. I painted it black.

These guys ship international - but the sba agm sounds like a cheaper option.

https://www.toolfetch.com/reed-htp1000- ... MEQAvD_BwE

-CB