Milling Machine

For technical tips, questions etc. on all subjects except Engines and Boilers.
farmerden
Stirring the Pot
Stirring the Pot
Boat Name: Steam Queen

Milling Machine

Post by farmerden » Sun Dec 06, 2009 2:36 am

There is a large manufacturing plant closing down in Vancouver next week. There are thirteen milling machines for auction.Everything is three phase and I only have single phase and the auctioneer didn't know the voltages which I gather is critical when converting. However there will be scads of accessaries for auction as well .Like vices and rotary tables etc. Even if I don't buy a mill if the prices are good on the accessaries I should buy something [I mean a guy can't come home empty-handed can he!] What do I need? I am not a machinist but I am going to get a Bridgeport stlye mill sooner or later so I should be buying things whenever they come available -as long as my money is available a the same time!! Oh yeah Simon I gave that tiny lathe to my boat pilot [he doesn't want to be captain cause the captain goes down with the ship!] and I have a 14 by 40 King with DRO .I even know how to turn it on! Anybody got any suggestions? Den :D
I mean seriously what should I buy!!!
Last edited by farmerden on Sun Dec 06, 2009 5:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
csonics
Anne from Little Britan
Anne from Little Britan
Boat Name: No Boat Yet

Re: Milling Machine

Post by csonics » Sun Dec 06, 2009 3:05 am

Wow! I wish I was close to Vancouver! You'll have to give us an update on the spoils when you hit the auction.

-Mike
farmerden
Stirring the Pot
Stirring the Pot

Post by farmerden » Sun Dec 06, 2009 4:59 am

Go to ableauctions.ca, look under auctions,then look under industrial,then hit on manufacturing plant closure.That will show you the list and some pictures but no lot list or catalog has been produced yet. The stuff looks new! Den
http://www.ableauctions.ca/flyer.cfm?Ev ... 664EF43E62
Last edited by farmerden on Sun Dec 06, 2009 4:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
dampfspieler
Full Steam Ahead
Full Steam Ahead

Post by dampfspieler » Sun Dec 06, 2009 9:29 am

Hi Den,

is his the right auction ABLEAUCTIONS - Manufacturing Plant?

If you have only "one phase electric system" you need a converter to create a "three phase electrical system" for the milling machine/lathe. I use an SIEMENS SIMOVERT P in my workshop for this job and it runs very well. If you do so you must change the motor from "star" to "triangle".

SIEMENS SIMOVERT MASTERDRIVES
SIMOVERT - regional partners for canada there you can select "technical support", "training", "sales"

If there are any question send me PM or e-Mail.

Best
Dietrich
Maltelec
Master of the Forum
Master of the Forum

Post by Maltelec » Sun Dec 06, 2009 1:33 pm

I use single to 3-phase converters on my machines.

Over here we use 230 volts single phase and 415 volts 3-phase.

Most 3-phase motors up to 5HP have the ability to be used as Star on 415 volts or Delta on 220 volts. So in my case I simply wire them as Delta and wire them into one of these 3-phase inverters. They then give me full speed control over the motor as well as running the motor on proper 3-phase (as far as the motor is concerned).

Not knowing what your 3-phase is like over there I can't really say what is best. If you cannot get say 220 volts 3-phase required for the motor you will have to think of another method.

One way to get round it all is to have a 3-phase generator driven via a single phase motor.
I've got the vehicle, just need the boat.
farmerden
Stirring the Pot
Stirring the Pot

Post by farmerden » Sun Dec 06, 2009 8:29 pm

Thanks for the tips on 3 phase.But what will I need for equipment? In the first video I saw about a dozen vices ,some rotary tables,and lots of stuff I don't even recognize! I'll need cutters etc. but what kind [maybe I'll buy one of everything!] I'll be the first to admit that it appears the only guy who knows less than me about this stuff is the auctioneer cause he doesn't have any answers for me!! :lol: Den
Maltelec
Master of the Forum
Master of the Forum

Post by Maltelec » Sun Dec 06, 2009 9:15 pm

I suppose the thing is to buy them and sort out the motors after.

I've had to replace the motors on the Bridgeport and the Kearns borer because the originals were not suitable. You could always get a 2-speed single phase motor if you couldn't use 3-phase and required more than 1 speed.
I've got the vehicle, just need the boat.
farmerden
Stirring the Pot
Stirring the Pot

Post by farmerden » Sun Dec 13, 2009 4:05 am

I bought nothing! The mills ran from a low of $3200 to $9500,Kurt vices went for $448,Rotary tables went for $640 [whether you wanted a 12in,9 1/2 in or a 8in with a chuck-allthe same price!] I thought things would go cheaper.I had the luck of having the shop foreman of the company show me every mill,the differences,which one would go cheapest[they had four "First"mills but one did not have a verticle servo,did not have the electric motor to tighten up the bits,and you had to stop the machine to change speeds-that one should have been cheapest-right? not so it went for $3520,one with all the bell and whistles went for $3200 and $3840,then the last one -everyone must have been desperate went for$6400!!] I 'll never figure auctions-it's like playing the stock market! Den :D
daysaver1
Steam on Deck
Steam on Deck

Post by daysaver1 » Sat Dec 19, 2009 12:06 pm

Assuming you haven't found a "good" mill yet, my suggestion is sign up for a machine shop class at a junior college before investing lots of money. You will most likely have numerous projects to make and will learn on someone else's equipment what works for you and what you don't like.

I think $3-4000 is a fair price to pay for a decent vertical mill. I feel my old Bridgeport 2J was a steal at $3500. You are lucky to live in an area where there are plenty of steamboaters who are wonderful home machinists, so next time you're visiting a steamboat get-together, ask around and get yourself invited to someone's garage for an afternoon of making chips. You can't ask too many questions there.
Co-Captain...S.L. Reward
farmerden
Stirring the Pot
Stirring the Pot

Post by farmerden » Sun Dec 20, 2009 1:26 am

Yup that sounds like a plan.Imagine going back to school at my age! Well I went to night school and took welding years ago so why not? Seeing how I have only poured the foundation for the new shop/boat shop and I work really slow I have time .But the "honey do" list is quite long and time consuming and just when I think I'm catching up she adds more! :lol: Den