Milling Machine

For technical tips, questions etc. on all subjects except Engines and Boilers.
Johnlanark
Full Steam Ahead
Full Steam Ahead
Boat Name: No Boat Yet

Re: Milling Machine

Post by Johnlanark » Sun Dec 20, 2009 10:54 am

Building engines and machinery for full size steam boats can need larger machine tools than the typical home shop machinist or model engineer would go for. This can work in our favour if space is available, as there is less demand for the larger machines. This year I sold my small Tom Senior mill for £600 and the same money bought me a much larger Bridgeport in similar reasonable condition and also with digital readout Three phase power of course. Checking out ebay uk as an informal market indicator, there are usually several bridgeports and lots of lathes around the Colchester student/triumph size selling cheaply. John
farmerden
Stirring the Pot
Stirring the Pot
Boat Name: Steam Queen

Re: Milling Machine

Post by farmerden » Sun Dec 20, 2009 10:49 pm

Well the nearest trade scool is Vancouver BC [maybe I can go to the Olympics at the same time!] and that would require a ferry boat ride etc so that's out of the question.On to plan "B" .There are several machine shops in the area who have done work on my log trucks etc. so I will camp out at their place,sweep the floor,and learn the old fashioned way-by watching and doing! and yes I agree if you are only going to buy one -make it a good one.I can't afford to buy a cheap one! My father used to say "what will do more will do less" and I think that's a good rule to follow. Den