Idea: Espresso pump

For technical tips, questions etc. on all subjects except Engines and Boilers.
Steam Captain
Full Steam Ahead
Full Steam Ahead
Boat Name: No Boat Yet

Idea: Espresso pump

Post by Steam Captain » Wed May 20, 2020 11:18 pm

I've accidentally found the existence of espresso pumps and they seem to be interesting and not all too expensive. I've found 2 different types - rotary vane and membrane. Ebay also lists these pumps as a complete unit with an electric motor or only the pump unit. They seem to have a range of 100-300l/min.

Maybe someone might be interested to know.
the arduino version steam engine indicator: https://app.box.com/s/b2i0z3gw6ny3rcfdet5xjg8ubrfu799i - app version coming soon
Excuse my occasional long response time. It's caused by the side effects from ptsd.
fredrosse
Full Steam Ahead
Full Steam Ahead
Boat Name: Margaret S.

Re: Idea: Espresso pump

Post by fredrosse » Tue May 26, 2020 4:35 pm

300 liters per minute?
dampfspieler
Full Steam Ahead
Full Steam Ahead

Post by dampfspieler » Tue May 26, 2020 7:05 pm

They seem to have a range of 100-300l/min - that are only 100 - 300 l/h

--
Best Dietrich
Last edited by dampfspieler on Wed Jun 10, 2020 12:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SL Ethel
Warming the Engine
Warming the Engine
Boat Name: SL Ethel

Post by SL Ethel » Thu May 28, 2020 2:15 pm

I know these pumps have been used successfully at least once in conjunction with a hot water pressure washer coil for a steam buggy. I think the steam conditions were low - something like 100 psi.

The specs for these pumps don't *quite* reach what our actual conditions would be, even in a low pressure boiler, but I'm betting they would work. I purchased one of those pumps off of ebay last year, and am in the process of fitting it to a pressure washer coil of 40 sf (190 linear feet of schedule 80 pipe). It's the rotary vane type. My coil is being made by Farleys, here in the US. They are awesome people to work with. When I called explained what I needed to Mr. Farley, instead of saying "we don't do that", he said "I think we've done a coil for a steam engine before. Tell me what you need and we'll make something that suits". For anyone considering it, here's their website:

http://farleysinc.com/coils/?gclid=EAIa ... gKnHvD_BwE

My plan is to mount the pump very low in the boat to give it as much advantage of head pressure as possible, and to have it shielded so that if a seal fails under pressure, it won't parboil the engineer or passengers. Safety will be set at 150 psi. The receiver tank is being fabricated by a local code boiler shop. It will by no means be a code assembly, but all of the parts, save the pump, will be rated to well over the working pressure and temperature.

I'll post an update (I hope this season) when it's up and running.

Cheers,
Scott
fredrosse
Full Steam Ahead
Full Steam Ahead

Post by fredrosse » Fri May 29, 2020 10:56 am

The boiler code rules require a check valve followed by an isolation valve downstream of the feedwater pump, before entering the fired boiler piping. This assures that a seal failure in the feedwater pump will not cause dangerous conditions.

You may want to consider a Hypro Pump, they are rated for higher pressures. Also consider a pressure washer pump, they are rated for a couple of thousand PSI, but work fine at lower speed, feeding a boiler at any lower pressure.

May I ask how many $ Farley is charging, I assume the coil they are building a 1/2 inch pipe coil schedule 80?
Steam Captain
Full Steam Ahead
Full Steam Ahead

Post by Steam Captain » Sun May 31, 2020 2:38 pm

WAIT WAIT WAIT. I did some mistake. It was already clarified above: Those pumps have around 100-300l/h, not /min. 300l/min for an espresso machine would be a little overkill. Maybe I saw, what I wanted to see :)

100-300l/h seems to be on the tedious side for any application beyond the model scale. But interesting someone else already thought of the idea using them.
the arduino version steam engine indicator: https://app.box.com/s/b2i0z3gw6ny3rcfdet5xjg8ubrfu799i - app version coming soon
Excuse my occasional long response time. It's caused by the side effects from ptsd.
fredrosse
Full Steam Ahead
Full Steam Ahead

Post by fredrosse » Sun Jun 07, 2020 9:09 am

"...... 100-300l/h seems to be on the tedious side for any application beyond the model scale. "

I wish I had a boiler that could produce 100l/hr (220 Pounds Per Hour), and very few steam launches can approach 300 l/hr, (660 PPH), which might be appropriate for a displacement steamboat well over 10-15 Meters length (33-49 feet length).

My sidewheeler boiler produces about 10% of that at 65PPH, and it's output is in the vicinity of what most hobby steamboats produce. The FAQ section of this forum provides guidance as to the power required and boiler steam flow requirements applicable to our class of steamboats.
DetroiTug
Full Steam Ahead
Full Steam Ahead
Boat Name: Iron Chief

Post by DetroiTug » Mon Jun 08, 2020 12:52 pm

Hi Fred,

Just for reference, the tug produces around 250 pph.

The Locomobile produces around 95 pph, moderate stop and go driving.

-Ron
Steam Captain
Full Steam Ahead
Full Steam Ahead

Post by Steam Captain » Wed Jun 10, 2020 3:04 am

I usually don't have the slightest problems with units and dimensions, but I don't seem to have been mentally present as I've been confusing the magnitude of the pumping power in this thread from too small to too big.
Well, the delivery rate seems to check out and might be interesting for some after all.
SL Ethel
Warming the Engine
Warming the Engine
Boat Name: SL Ethel

Post by SL Ethel » Thu Jun 11, 2020 4:45 pm

The coil from Farley's is $850, plus shipping (around $125 for me to get it from Arkansas to Chicago). That's for about a 40 sf coil. I checked with my local Hotsy dealer, and a standard coil as a spare part for one of their machines is $400. However, I think that's a 14" diameter coil, so probably around 1/2 the heating surface of the one I am getting.

The pipe is 1/2" schedule 80 (they can do coils up to 28" in diameter in 3/4" pipe). The other nice thing is that they include a lifting ring on the top, and a rolled steel skirt around the bottom that structurally supports the coil and should make it easy to adapt mounting lugs to it. It should be shipping out to me next week - I'll put in a picture when it arrives.

Cheers,
Scott
fredrosse wrote:
Fri May 29, 2020 10:56 am
The boiler code rules require a check valve followed by an isolation valve downstream of the feedwater pump, before entering the fired boiler piping. This assures that a seal failure in the feedwater pump will not cause dangerous conditions.

You may want to consider a Hypro Pump, they are rated for higher pressures. Also consider a pressure washer pump, they are rated for a couple of thousand PSI, but work fine at lower speed, feeding a boiler at any lower pressure.

May I ask how many $ Farley is charging, I assume the coil they are building a 1/2 inch pipe coil schedule 80?