Vintage Steam Engine.

For technical tips, questions etc. on all subjects except Engines and Boilers.
Mike Rometer
Full Steam Ahead
Full Steam Ahead
Boat Name: B.N.Y.S.

Re: Vintage Steam Engine.

Post by Mike Rometer » Sat Jul 25, 2020 5:02 pm

Maybe not totally. This engine ran it's working life in a training establishment, only ever connected to a dyno. I too worked in a training establishment and that's just the sort of trick we'd do to make a fault for trainees to find. We got up to all sorts of tricks like screwing down an injector to make it miss, blocking air-cleaners to make them smoke. There's no way now to find the total truth as that's all we have, but it certainly doesn't look to me like wear or damage. We'll have to suck it and see, it'll still rattle or it wont! My gut says it'll be fine.

Just finished making a whole bunch of shims. Managed to make them universal by stretching one hole.
Retirement is about doing what floats your boat!

A BODGE : - A Bit Of Damn Good Engineering.
Mike Rometer
Full Steam Ahead
Full Steam Ahead

Post by Mike Rometer » Tue Jul 28, 2020 4:32 pm

The deed is done! Today with an end-mill I put a 'finding' cut across both slippers (they were both pretty true), and then flipped them over and removed 0.012" in three light cuts. The result is now 0.002" under pin size, which will become 0.002" over, with a 0,004" shim. Exactly where we aimed to be. Next task is to transport it back 40 miles to the boat and fit it with a touch of blue to check for high spots.
Last edited by Mike Rometer on Tue Jul 28, 2020 7:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

barts
Full Steam Ahead
Full Steam Ahead
Boat Name: Otter, Rainbow

Post by barts » Tue Jul 28, 2020 6:37 pm

<aside> Does anyone ever use plastigage when setting up steam engine bearings.... I used this stuff many decades ago to double check clearances on an engine during rebuild; it seemed to work well enough. Or was that just for people who didn't have a good set of micrometers and telescopic gauges?

- Bart
-------
Bart Smaalders http://smaalders.net/barts Lopez Island, WA
Mike Rometer
Full Steam Ahead
Full Steam Ahead

Post by Mike Rometer » Tue Jul 28, 2020 7:26 pm

I did think about it but wasn't sure if A) it was still available or B) if I could get any in time. I can only remember seeing it I think once before, and that was a very long time ago, so it was only really a passing thought.

Edit: - A quick Google found it straight way on eBay and Amazon. Not expensive either. :o

Mike Rometer
Full Steam Ahead
Full Steam Ahead

Post by Mike Rometer » Wed Jul 29, 2020 2:51 pm

Today we refitted the bearing to the crank with a 0.004" shim but without the rod, and it felt a touch tight with an obvious light tight spot, so we removed it again and attacked the high spots with a bearing scraper, and re-assembled with an extra 0.001" shim. I was happy with it at that. It felt a lot better.

It is now fully assembled ready for testing, when we can get some pressure (probably air). :D

Cheers for thoughts!

fredrosse
Full Steam Ahead
Full Steam Ahead
Boat Name: Margaret S.

Post by fredrosse » Wed Jul 29, 2020 3:04 pm

Plasti-gauge is generally available at virtually any automobile supply store, at least in the Northeast USA, and I would expect throughout the automobile driving countries. A quick and reliable way of checking bearing clearances.
Kelly Anderson
Full Steam Ahead
Full Steam Ahead
Boat Name: Vividus

Post by Kelly Anderson » Thu Jul 30, 2020 1:47 am

I use plastigauge every time I fit a bearing. It also rides along in the tool box on every voyage in case of emergency.

If it was good enough for Jake Holman, its good enough for me.
It was not easy to convince Allnutt. All his shop training had given him a profound prejudice against inexact work, experimental work, hit-or-miss work.