Show us your jewelry

For technical tips, questions etc. on all subjects except Engines and Boilers.
marinesteam
Full Steam Ahead
Full Steam Ahead
Boat Name: TBD

Show us your jewelry

Post by marinesteam » Sat Oct 03, 2020 12:25 am

Hey all,

Taking a break from the engine to complete the restoration of three onion top navigation lanterns. All were pretty tatty looking when I purchased them. One had been disassembled by the previous owner in a misguided attempt to clean it and needed to be soldered back together.

Need to build replacement kerosene lamps to make them operational. Yes, I have considered LEDs but am going to keep them traditional.

IMG_3353.jpeg
IMG_3353.jpeg (70.73 KiB) Viewed 4288 times

Now it's your turn to post some of your bright work. :P
fredrosse
Full Steam Ahead
Full Steam Ahead
Boat Name: Margaret S.

Re: Show us your jewelry

Post by fredrosse » Sat Oct 03, 2020 4:34 am

Those lamps are real inspirational beauties. I traded my good Lukenheimer steam whistle for a similar set of kerosene running lights (avoid electricity on a steamer, dangerous unknown stuff), but have yet to restore them. I guess I have to get to work on cleaning up my antique running lights.
DetroiTug
Full Steam Ahead
Full Steam Ahead
Boat Name: Iron Chief

Post by DetroiTug » Sat Oct 03, 2020 2:50 pm

I use these on the tug, they work just fine, a little more troublesome than flipping a switch, but definitely worth the nostalgic value. I have one of those with the with the large reflectors in perfect condition, paid a lot for it, they are sort of rare. Looks like a Wilcox Crittendon? Perko and Solar made these too. The fonts are hard to find, it seems people used them for other purposes and never put them back as many of them show up with them missing. Those cleaned up really nice.

-Ron
marinesteam
Full Steam Ahead
Full Steam Ahead
Boat Name: TBD

Post by marinesteam » Sat Oct 31, 2020 11:25 pm

DetroiTug wrote:
Sat Oct 03, 2020 2:50 pm
I use these on the tug, they work just fine, a little more troublesome than flipping a switch, but definitely worth the nostalgic value. I have one of those with the with the large reflectors in perfect condition, paid a lot for it, they are sort of rare. Looks like a Wilcox Crittendon? Perko and Solar made these too. The fonts are hard to find, it seems people used them for other purposes and never put them back as many of them show up with them missing. Those cleaned up really nice.

-Ron
The white lamps are Robert Findlay and the Port/Starboard lamp is Perkins Marine Lamp Corp. (which is Perko). I have several photos of the fonts and the materials to build new ones over the winter (hopefully).

Cheers

Ken