Reliable Monitor Plans

For technical tips, questions etc. on all subjects except Engines and Boilers.
TriangleTom
Full Steam Ahead
Full Steam Ahead
Boat Name: No Boat Yet

Reliable Monitor Plans

Post by TriangleTom » Tue Apr 13, 2021 10:31 pm

Does anyone have any experience or knowledge of the Reliable Monitor plans? I'm intrigued by the thought of building one in steel, but I'd like to know the community's thoughts before dropping a Grant.
DetroiTug
Full Steam Ahead
Full Steam Ahead
Boat Name: Iron Chief

Re: Reliable Monitor Plans

Post by DetroiTug » Wed Apr 14, 2021 1:29 am

Tom,

I don't know of anyone that ever built that particular hull. I can safely state, you'd be the only kid on your block. :lol:

It could be scaled up 20% and still be legal to tow at 96" and that would take the length out to over 26 feet. I scaled the Salty hull up 10%, then I chucked the drawings when I built the houses.

Yeah if you build, go radical, you'll be glad you did.

Ron
Mike Rometer
Full Steam Ahead
Full Steam Ahead
Boat Name: B.N.Y.S.

Post by Mike Rometer » Wed Apr 14, 2021 7:54 am

TriangleTom wrote:
Tue Apr 13, 2021 10:31 pm
Does anyone have any experience or knowledge of the Reliable Monitor plans? I'm intrigued by the thought of building one in steel, but I'd like to know the community's thoughts before dropping a Grant.
Any link Tom? I'd like to see what it's like. A search here drew a complete blank
Retirement is about doing what floats your boat!

A BODGE : - A Bit Of Damn Good Engineering.
TriangleTom
Full Steam Ahead
Full Steam Ahead

Post by TriangleTom » Wed Apr 14, 2021 11:02 am

Mike Rometer wrote:
Wed Apr 14, 2021 7:54 am
TriangleTom wrote:
Tue Apr 13, 2021 10:31 pm
Any link Tom? I'd like to see what it's like. A search here drew a complete blank
Sure thing!

https://www.reliablesteam.com/new/boats.php?iid=BT03
Mike Rometer
Full Steam Ahead
Full Steam Ahead
Boat Name: B.N.Y.S.

Post by Mike Rometer » Wed Apr 14, 2021 12:18 pm

Thanks Tom!
Retirement is about doing what floats your boat!

A BODGE : - A Bit Of Damn Good Engineering.
cyberbadger
Full Steam Ahead
Full Steam Ahead
Boat Name: SL Nyitra

Post by cyberbadger » Wed Apr 14, 2021 2:10 pm

Tom,

Definitely go for it!

I will say, you are not going to be able to achieve effective armor of the original Monitor!

But seeing as she was a poor steamer it would fairly easy to make a more robust and reliable monitor steam plant.

Just don't put your Monitor in front of the black powder cannons that some steamboaters have... :-P

I have been watching the restoration of the original monitor engine eagerly, unfortunately she is not likely to see steam again.
The monitor didn't have a great engine, but it would be very impressive to see a larger monitor engine operating.
Monitor engine scale model: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VWn8gQ9Ykpk

-CB
fredrosse
Full Steam Ahead
Full Steam Ahead
Boat Name: Margaret S.

Post by fredrosse » Fri Apr 16, 2021 2:54 am

I would suggest you call Reliable and find out if anyone has built this hull. A revolutionary design that is very effective at dodging cannon fire, but the very concept results in a boat that is inherently not very seaworthy. If you can be OK with the seaworthy limitations, and want the novelty aspect,then go for it. Hell, some people even build paddle boats in the 21st century.
TriangleTom
Full Steam Ahead
Full Steam Ahead

Post by TriangleTom » Fri Apr 16, 2021 3:30 am

fredrosse wrote:
Fri Apr 16, 2021 2:54 am
I would suggest you call Reliable and find out if anyone has built this hull. A revolutionary design that is very effective at dodging cannon fire, but the very concept results in a boat that is inherently not very seaworthy. If you can be OK with the seaworthy limitations, and want the novelty aspect, then go for it. Hell, some people even build paddle boats in the 21st century.
Fred, I think that's a fantastic idea, I'll get in contact with them in the morning.

Truth be told, I'm not terribly concerned about limitations on seaworthiness. We don't get much in the way of rough seas in Oklahoma.