Building Spiffy

For technical tips, questions etc. on all subjects except Engines and Boilers.
Lopez Mike
Full Steam Ahead
Full Steam Ahead
Boat Name: S.L. Spiffy

Re: Building Spiffy

Post by Lopez Mike » Tue Jun 22, 2021 1:43 pm

I live in a small town with only one place to buy anything but Luan. Fortunately they have a couple of planks of Honduran that look very nice. I'm sitting down this morning to do some careful calculations so that I don't way over buy. Running about $12/board foot.

I'm doing a wainscoating style coaming so there will be a fair bit of expensive sawdust generated.

Mike
If you think you are too small to make a difference, try sleeping with a mosquito.
Dalai Lama
barts
Full Steam Ahead
Full Steam Ahead
Boat Name: Otter, Rainbow

Post by barts » Tue Jun 22, 2021 3:59 pm

Hey Mike -

Speaking of local source here in the PNW, Edensaw (Port Townsend & Tacoma) has been pretty good for my brother's projects; every so often they run a truck up this way ( Anacortes ) iirc.

I remember my dad coming back from the Olympic Peninsula w/ his 65 Suburban groaning under the weight of beautiful old growth wood, sawn from helicoptered windfall logs out of the National Forest there.

Most of that wood was used on Wyndfall:
wynfallsailing0091.jpg
wynfallsailing0091.jpg (36.4 KiB) Viewed 4801 times

- Bart
-------
Bart Smaalders http://smaalders.net/barts Lopez Island, WA
DetroiTug
Full Steam Ahead
Full Steam Ahead
Boat Name: Iron Chief

Post by DetroiTug » Tue Jun 22, 2021 6:21 pm

Bart,

What a beautiful sloop. The gaff rig looks really good. Reminds me of Sam Devlin's Winter Wren.

Mike, I get all my lumber, oak, mahogany, Ash etc from Kencraft in Toledo, Oh. They ship UPS and do a good job picking their best to ship. Good prices.

Ron
barts
Full Steam Ahead
Full Steam Ahead
Boat Name: Otter, Rainbow

Post by barts » Tue Jun 22, 2021 6:37 pm

DetroiTug wrote:
Tue Jun 22, 2021 6:21 pm
Bart,

What a beautiful sloop. The gaff rig looks really good. Reminds me of Sam Devlin's Winter Wren.

Ron
Shameless plug: you might enjoy http://woodenboatdesigns.com; that's my brother's website. He does a lot of classic designs, many with more modern materials. His designs are sailing all over; he does a fair amount of consulting as well. There are pictures of the various boats, both finished and under construction. The Olga 28 trailerable power cruiser, reminiscent of a Lake Union Dreamboat, is probably his single most popular design.

- Bart
-------
Bart Smaalders http://smaalders.net/barts Lopez Island, WA