Wooden bearings

For technical tips, questions etc. on all subjects except Engines and Boilers.
DetroiTug
Full Steam Ahead
Full Steam Ahead
Boat Name: Iron Chief

Re: Wooden bearings

Post by DetroiTug » Sun Oct 31, 2021 7:09 pm

"'Over-tightening belts or overloading the screws will quickly kill motor bearings.''

The belt wasn't over tensioned. I've installed thousands of steppers and servos over the last 25 years, loss of case bearings has never been an issue, only a consideration when tensioning a belt. As I wrote above, I'm still puzzled as to what caused the bushing failure. Not that it matters.

Overload a screw?? I'm assuming you mean direct coupled and linear forces? Neither steppers or Servos have any sort of integrated thrust bearings other than a Belleville spring washer or similar, this must be installed between the motor and the screw in the form of a DRAC (double row angular contact) bearing.

Anything else you'd care to know about the mechanics of motion control? I'm very well versed on the subject, more than I care to be. :lol:

Ron
marinesteam
Full Steam Ahead
Full Steam Ahead
Boat Name: TBD

Post by marinesteam » Mon Nov 01, 2021 7:11 pm

DetroiTug wrote:
Sun Oct 31, 2021 7:09 pm

Anything else you'd care to know about the mechanics of motion control? I'm very well versed on the subject, more than I care to be. :lol:

Ron
Seeing I've been very successful at designing CNC & high speed servo driven systems using motors the size of an AAA battery to 20hp, as well as worked as an engineer for a manufacturer of plain and ball bearings, I think I can do pretty well on my own. Thank you.

Ken
DetroiTug
Full Steam Ahead
Full Steam Ahead

Post by DetroiTug » Tue Nov 02, 2021 3:07 am

Well, if you need anything, don't hesitate. :D
marinesteam
Full Steam Ahead
Full Steam Ahead
Boat Name: TBD

Post by marinesteam » Thu Nov 04, 2021 3:37 am

How 'bout a few beers? :D
PeteThePen1
Full Steam Ahead
Full Steam Ahead

Post by PeteThePen1 » Fri Nov 05, 2021 9:59 pm

Hi Folks

That was a bit rash admitting to your technical expertise! You will get daft bozos like me asking you silly questions.

Do either of you recall the small twin engine that Dietrich displayed on the forum some while back. It was, I think, an ST marine twin which is pretty small but being Dietrich beautifully finished. What I was wondering is whether one could get sealed for life bearing small enough to use on such a model engine. I am still toying with the steam canoe idea when eventually I get some free time in the workshop.

Enjoy the beers!

Best wishes

Pete
TahoeSteam
Full Steam Ahead
Full Steam Ahead
Boat Name: Wayward Belle

Post by TahoeSteam » Sat Nov 06, 2021 12:06 am

Hi Pete,

I'm sure a supplier like McMaster Carr has needle and ball bearings in those sizes...
DetroiTug
Full Steam Ahead
Full Steam Ahead

Post by DetroiTug » Sat Nov 06, 2021 1:34 am

marinesteam wrote:
Thu Nov 04, 2021 3:37 am
How 'bout a few beers? :D
Now that interests me :lol:
DetroiTug
Full Steam Ahead
Full Steam Ahead

Post by DetroiTug » Sat Nov 06, 2021 1:43 am

PeteThePen1 wrote:
Fri Nov 05, 2021 9:59 pm
Hi Folks

What I was wondering is whether one could get sealed for life bearing small enough to use on such a model engine. I am still toying with the steam canoe idea when eventually I get some free time in the workshop.

Enjoy the beers!

Best wishes

Pete
Ball bearings are available in very small sizes, usually referred to as ''miniature''.

https://bearingsdirect.com/ball-bearing ... ric-sizes/

I'm pretty sure the pictures Dietrich posted of that nicely designed engine were actually 3D rendered drawings. Many product adverts use those now instead of photographs.

Ron
PeteThePen1
Full Steam Ahead
Full Steam Ahead

Post by PeteThePen1 » Sun Nov 07, 2021 10:40 am

Hi Ron and Steamboaters all

Thanks for the links and advice. I will chase them up soon. I will probably need to seek UK based equivalents as Boris's Bonkers Brexit will probably mean high levels of import duties being added if I try to import.

Yes, Dietrich's recent postings are renderings of his 3D drawings of a very nice little engine. We have been in correspondence about small engines and he very kindly sent me a 3D PDF of it that one can rotate in Acrobat. I am very impressed with what he is able to do.

Perhaps I need to add a subscription to Alibre 3D CAD to my list for Santa this Xmas!

Regards

Pete