Preparing for the Steaming Season

For technical tips, questions etc. on all subjects except Engines and Boilers.
Kelly Anderson
Full Steam Ahead
Full Steam Ahead
Boat Name: Vividus

Preparing for the Steaming Season

Post by Kelly Anderson » Tue May 23, 2023 12:52 am

In addition to performing an annual hydrostatic test, I make a point of lifting the safety valve during the driveway test steam up. Another worthwhile spring ritual is to go around the engine and propeller shaft with a selection of wrenches to confirm that all of the fasteners are tight.

The last item paid for itself earlier today. After working my way around the engine with no loose nuts found, I lifted the floor plates over the prop shaft, where I found one set screw backed off loose about a full turn. Why that one screw was so loose is beyond me, every other set screw on the prop shaft was very tight.

Much better to have found that loose screw in the garage instead of on the water!
It was not easy to convince Allnutt. All his shop training had given him a profound prejudice against inexact work, experimental work, hit-or-miss work.
Lopez Mike
Full Steam Ahead
Full Steam Ahead
Boat Name: S.L. Spiffy

Re: Preparing for the Steaming Season

Post by Lopez Mike » Tue May 23, 2023 2:33 pm

I find set screws a little problematical but haven't come up with an easy alternative.

I'm in the midst of transferring all of my mechanicals into a new hull and made some small changes. I deepened the 'dents' in the prop shaft quite a bit. And then ground the end of the set screw from the usual cup shape to a pronounced point. In addition, my set screws have a square head and are drilled for safety wire. All of which gives me a bit more peace of mind.
If you think you are too small to make a difference, try sleeping with a mosquito.
Dalai Lama
RNoe
Full Steam Ahead
Full Steam Ahead
Boat Name: Cluaran

Post by RNoe » Tue May 23, 2023 3:21 pm

Smart ideas from both of you!

Mike:
Are you back on Lopez?
RussN
barts
Full Steam Ahead
Full Steam Ahead
Boat Name: Otter, Rainbow

Post by barts » Tue May 23, 2023 3:54 pm

I don't like protruding heads on spinning shafts from a safety standpoint, especially when it may be exposed during operation. If the collar/hub is thick enough, two short setscrews in the same hole will often prevent loosening. Alternatively, blue Loc-tite does an amazing job on machinery that isn't steam-hot, even if it is anachronistic for a steamboat.

- Bart
-------
Bart Smaalders http://smaalders.net/barts Lopez Island, WA
RNoe
Full Steam Ahead
Full Steam Ahead
Boat Name: Cluaran

Post by RNoe » Wed May 24, 2023 3:38 am

Bart makes a logical suggestion.
Looking at the technical development history of all things steam, improvements were constantly being made to improve operation and lower costs.
So I see nothing wrong continuing that practice. Today's LocTite products are perfect for our endeavors.

"Rivet counters" may object to modern product uses, but I simply invite such criticizers to feel free to correct my work, after they have shown me their own work.
Deafening silence usually follows.
RussN
Lopez Mike
Full Steam Ahead
Full Steam Ahead
Boat Name: S.L. Spiffy

Post by Lopez Mike » Sat May 27, 2023 4:06 am

Bart, it's the boat that's anachronistic, not the locktite. And you are talking to a guy with a piston valve engine with ball bearing mains. I have to wear a bag over my head at gatherings.

Today has been victories and defeats.
A: I somehow misplaced the external jaws for my three jaw chuck when I did the move to the island. I know they are together as all three are missing. Hiding in some box. I am going nuts. Reminds me of a classical piano bit called "Rage over a lost penny." Oh well, I can always use the four jaw.
B: I got my LED tubes to replace my fluorescents in the shop. At last I can hear the FM radio as well as monitor the H.F. ham radio. The fluorescent ballasts made an awful racket on the radios.
If you think you are too small to make a difference, try sleeping with a mosquito.
Dalai Lama