aluminum for bearing babbit?

For technical tips, questions etc. on all subjects except Engines and Boilers.
Richard Orr
Lighting the Boiler
Lighting the Boiler

aluminum for bearing babbit?

Post by Richard Orr » Sat Feb 06, 2010 6:41 am

So here's a few questions:
Anyone out there ever use aluminum for babbiting bearings instead of the regular tin or lead based babbit?
O.K. here's the next question: Has anyone ever used leather piston cups for a feed or wet/air pump?
Maltelec
Master of the Forum
Master of the Forum
Boat Name: No Boat Yet

Re: aluminum for bearing babbit?

Post by Maltelec » Sat Feb 06, 2010 8:43 am

Not sure about aluminium, my mind always tells me not to use aluminium with moving parts, especially with the limited oil systems which our steam engines use.

With the leather piston idea, I have just had to replace the leather piston on my air compressor unloader because it leaked like buggery. Personally I would always stick with cast iron clupet piston rings. The leather would need constant lubrication to keep it malleable, cast iron only needs a drop of lubricant.
I've got the vehicle, just need the boat.
steamboatjack
Full Steam Ahead
Full Steam Ahead
Boat Name: grayling

Post by steamboatjack » Sat Feb 06, 2010 11:09 am

For a start "babbit" means a white metal alloy so use of aluminium wouldn't be babbiting.
High grade aluminium alloys are used for forged conn rods of some I.C. engines but that is with full dynamic lubrication, I doubt if it would be any good on a steam engine with boundary lube conditions.
maltelec has missed the point with the second question as this is for feed or air pumps. yes they should be no problem but surely modern day seals such as used in a hydraulic system would be better? Shamban seals for instance offer a range of materials suitable for water.
regards Jack
marinesteam
Full Steam Ahead
Full Steam Ahead
Boat Name: TBD

Post by marinesteam » Sun Feb 07, 2010 6:05 pm

Richard,

Is there a particular reason that you are asking about using aluminum instead of Babbitt?

It seems to me that aluminum doesn't fill any of the requirements of a good bearing material and would be much more difficult to melt & pour than Babbitt.

Take a look at

http://www.thesteamboatingforum.net/for ... it=babbitt

Babbitt isn't that difficult as long as you prepare before getting the metal hot.

Ken
Richard Orr
Lighting the Boiler
Lighting the Boiler

Post by Richard Orr » Tue Feb 09, 2010 1:46 am

In response to the question about why to use aluminum for bearing material: I have worked with babbit in re-building my steam engine. Fun stuff, but a we bit expensive for the amount you get. But the more important reason is that babbit material may be hard to come by in Central Am. where we will be living - aluminum can always be scrounged up some place or other. I did come across a person who used aluminum for bearing liner but never heard about the long range results.
What interests me about leather piston cups is that I've heard leather has a tendency to burnish rather than score a cylinder.
Maltelec
Master of the Forum
Master of the Forum
Boat Name: No Boat Yet

Post by Maltelec » Tue Feb 09, 2010 7:37 am

Leather can wear away metal quite easily, just look at a shaft using an old leather oil seal.
I've got the vehicle, just need the boat.