New Member - Boiler Question

For technical tips, questions etc. on all subjects except Engines and Boilers.
thequalifiedengineer
Just Starting Out
Just Starting Out

New Member - Boiler Question

Post by thequalifiedengineer » Wed Feb 09, 2011 7:29 pm

Greetings All,

I'm new to this forum, so in addition to asking for a bit of advice, I figured I'd introduce myself as well. My name is Richard L. Melvin, and I've been involved with the steam hobby and profession for the past 10 years or so. I am a locomotive engineer by trade, and construct live steam (ride-on) locomotives as a hobby, although I'm looking to foray into steamboat building as my next endeavor.

I'm planning on leaving the hull-building to the experts, but retrofitting a boiler, engine, plumbing, and other detail parts myself (better to keep to what I know best, eh?). Constructing a steam engine, I certainly have no problem with; imaginably shorter-term than an 8-Coupled locomotive with full Baker valve gear, and (pardon the pun) all the bells and whistles.

As far as the boiler goes, this is where I'm stymied. I've always constructed boilers for live steam engines myself, be they welded steel or soldered copper, using standard designs with calculations performed to accepted model boiler standards. Being that these engines were always run at private clubs in the Northeast US, there has been no need to have an ASME certification or inspection. Since I plan on sailing my steamboat in ponds and lakes on public parkland, I'm not sure how to approach the boiler issue.

I plan on registering the boat in Delaware, USA -- having given the state boiler code a good once-over, I can't seem to find any exceptions which might exempt a "hobby-type" boiler or marine boiler from the registration and inspection requirements of the state. Here's the web link to the DE State Code for reference:

http://www.dnrec.state.de.us/boilersafe ... /rules.pdf

Does anyone have experience with this situation, or (even better) Delaware regulations?

Thanks all for your assistance.

Cheers,

R.L.M.
marinesteam
Full Steam Ahead
Full Steam Ahead
Boat Name: TBD

Re: New Member - Boiler Question

Post by marinesteam » Thu Feb 10, 2011 3:49 am

R.L.M

I don't have any specific knowledge of Delaware boiler code but in reading the code that you attached it looks like anything over 15 psi is considered to be a power boiler and therefore is required to comply with ASME code (which means:built by a stamp holding shop) - See Boiler in definitions Also look at 5.1 construction standards

The Smokstak forum may be a place to get a better read on this subject.

Ken
mtnman
Full Steam Ahead
Full Steam Ahead
Boat Name: SL Mary Jane

Post by mtnman » Thu Feb 10, 2011 4:09 am

The penalty for operation of a power boiler without certificate in Tennessee is a $50 fine per day of operation.
thequalifiedengineer
Just Starting Out
Just Starting Out

Post by thequalifiedengineer » Thu Feb 10, 2011 1:03 pm

Thanks for the help. Also, my apologies for posting this in the wrong section; just realized it after the fact and am not sure how to move this to the "Boilers & Engines" section.

Another consideration, the code stipulates only boilers in "Places of Public Assembly" are required to be registered and inspected in Delaware. I wouldn't think the middle of a pond would be considered a "Place of Public Assembly," but stranger things have been true.

Will follow up on the SmokStak forum lead.

R.L.M.